Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Best part of fall

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
rustang64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best part of fall

So about 4 weeks ago some neighbors and I got together and scoured the area for apple trees, knocked on many doors and loaded up. We pressed somewhere in the 300-350lb range of apples on a press we rented from MUD (missoula urban demonstration project-if your town doesn't have one you should start one!) and wound up with about 18 gallons of the sweetest cider i have ever tasted. we canned and bottled about 8 gallons and stuck the other 10 into the carboys with lalvin D-47. Nothing else added. We bottled about a week and a half ago and had a taste then and the stuff was amazing! a glass and a half had me a little dizzy so this stuff is STRONG. Can't wait for the finished product!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Sastrugi
Recipes 

Sounds awesome... Even more so because you're drinking it in the 'Snake, one of my favorite mt. biking/hiking/snowshoeing places in the world.

"When the world is too dark and I need the light inside of me
I'll walk into a bar and drink fifteen pints of beer"
-Shane MacGowan

Old 12-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I've got a neighbor who probably has 1000 lbs of apples rotting on his lawn, about half winesaps. Unfortunately, he isn't very friendly.

I planted 5 apple trees 3 years ago and have one older tree. The latter has these weird white-skinned apples that are either unripe or mushy. The deer like them.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-04-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
I planted 5 apple trees 3 years ago and have one older tree. The latter has these weird white-skinned apples that are either unripe or mushy. The deer like them.
Go over, say hi, offer him a couple of bottles of homebrew while you talk about the weather, then ask him if he minds if you keep the apples from rotting on his yard.
If he says no, then your out a few bottles of brew, if he says yes you get tons of cider, hard cider and maybe, just maybe even a friend.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Quick Reply