Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Belgian Yeast in Cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
twgardner2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian Yeast in Cider?

I did a quick search and couldn't find much on this topic. Has anyone made cider with Belgian yeast? I live in Italy and Midwest tends to send me a packet of dry yeast just in case the liquid yeast they send me doesn't make it - gotta love those guys. My Belgian liquid yeast survived the trip just fine, so I'm thinking about throwing this dry Belgian yeast (Safbrew T-58) in a cider. Any advice?

Thanks!

Bottled: E.J. Phair's Rye Beer, Plinian Eruption IPA (Pliny clone), Pizza Port Shark Bite Red Ale, Plinian Eruption II IPA, Raspberry Cider, Spiced Cider, Vanilla Stout, Blackberry Cider, Peach Cider, Fuggles IPA
Past Brews: Ferocious IPA, Belgian Witbier, Pyramid ESB, American Cream Ale, Cascade Pale Ale, Graham's Cider, Cherry Cider, Man's Best Friend Wheat
Next Brews: Don't know

2011 Gallons: 39
2012 Gallons: 34

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
jddhammer
Recipes 

I did a small test batch that tasted really good before aging so i split it into a starter for a full 5g batch and a 2g belgian graff that I figured would be interesting after having a Unibroue Ephemere.

I start at 1.07 OG and usually ferment with wild yeast at cooler temps, but for the big batch of Belgian I kept it pretty warm to see how it turns out with more Belgian character.

While I said it tasted good green, did have some pretty funky days along the way, so it'll be interesting to see how it is in 6-9 months.

My advice then is go warmer and be patient, but do it.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I had a commercial example that was fermented with belgian yeast and bottled with maple syrup. It was fantastic. Can't recall the brand now, will try to look it up later when I'm home from work.

Bottled - Brett B Red Wine, Dandelion Honey Braggot, Dandelion Honey Mead, Dragon's Milk Clone, JAOM, Mixed Berry Mead, SMaSH Lager, Strawberry Wine (2013), Vanilla Wine, White Grape Juice Wine

Old 12-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
corkybstewart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I used T-58 in a cider a few years ago and everybody loved it, but then who doesn't love free cider? It does make a very good cider, go for it. Nottingham also makes a good cider.
I assume you'll be using local apple juice, try to get several varieties of apples in there. I use crabapples and grannysmiths from my trees, and my neighbor donated red and golden delicious from his trees.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

From what I understand yeast won't impart that much flavor to the profile of a cider. I Would go for it.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
From what I understand yeast won't impart that much flavor to the profile of a cider. I Would go for it.
Not true at all. The cider I tried definitely tasted had the "belgian yeast taste." It was merely combined with an apple flavor base instead of a malt flavor base.

Bottled - Brett B Red Wine, Dandelion Honey Braggot, Dandelion Honey Mead, Dragon's Milk Clone, JAOM, Mixed Berry Mead, SMaSH Lager, Strawberry Wine (2013), Vanilla Wine, White Grape Juice Wine

Old 12-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Beezy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwin3083

Not true at all. The cider I tried definitely tasted had the "belgian yeast taste." It was merely combined with an apple flavor base instead of a malt flavor base.
Anyway I'd still go for it. A guy at the club always uses saison yeast for ciders.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
Anyway I'd still go for it. A guy at the club always uses saison yeast for ciders.
I'm pretty sure that you could ferment just about anything with belgian yeast and it would be delicious.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Beezy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwin3083

I'm pretty sure that you could ferment just about anything with belgian yeast and it would be delicious.
Well that's a matter of taste. I happen to hate the combo of Belgian yeast and tons of hops. I think it clashes.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
twgardner2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkybstewart View Post
I assume you'll be using local apple juice, try to get several varieties of apples in there. I use crabapples and grannysmiths from my trees, and my neighbor donated red and golden delicious from his trees.
Unfortunately, I'm making my ciders with regular commercial apple juice. I'm currently stationed in Naples, Italy, and I haven't found a local cidery. I went to a "sagra di mela" (apple festival) in hopes of finding a good source of apple cider for brewing and to buy 5 gal would have been cost-prohibitive. Also, their sanitation practices didn't blow my skirt up. I bought 1L of cider from one stand, and the guy looked around for a bottle to put it in, found his used water bottle he had drank a liter of water out of, took the top off, shook it around, and filled it up with a liter of cider for me. He spoke mostly Neapolitan, so I couldn't stop him or protest, so I just took it anyway.

I'm new to ciders (two batches bottled and drinking, and two batches in secondary). Based on my lack of finding local stuff and my reading of this forum, I'm just sticking to commercial juices with the minimum amount of additives.
Bottled: E.J. Phair's Rye Beer, Plinian Eruption IPA (Pliny clone), Pizza Port Shark Bite Red Ale, Plinian Eruption II IPA, Raspberry Cider, Spiced Cider, Vanilla Stout, Blackberry Cider, Peach Cider, Fuggles IPA
Past Brews: Ferocious IPA, Belgian Witbier, Pyramid ESB, American Cream Ale, Cascade Pale Ale, Graham's Cider, Cherry Cider, Man's Best Friend Wheat
Next Brews: Don't know

2011 Gallons: 39
2012 Gallons: 34

Quick Reply