Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Beginner's luck?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
joentuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beginner's luck?

ok I dont know if this is going to turn out or not, but here is what I did, I put 3 gallons of apple juice, 4 cans of conncentrate, and 2lbs of cane sugar into my fermenter, and then added the yeast. its been bubbling like a crazy man for over a week, I was going to rack it into a second fermenter later this week, but I wanted to add some flavoring to it, maybe some cinn, can anyone give me an idea if im on the right track?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Don't rack to secondary until the juice appears to stop bubbling (or the specific gravity becomes stable). I wouldn't use any spices, but that's just me.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 05-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 757 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 1999

If you do decide to use spices don't use the ground/powdered form, use the whole form; cinnamon stick, whole clove, whole allspice, etc... And remember: a little spice goes a long way. This is going to be some high alcohol stuff & will need to age out, spices or no. Regards, GF.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 AM   #4
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

add stick cinnamon but not too much. I usually put in (2) two inch sections. You can always add to it later but you can't take it out.

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 05-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
joentuff
Recipes 

I was wanting to add some Brown Suggar is it ok to put that in the secondary?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Remember that the cider will be very dry. Not a sweet apple cinnamon flavor, but like cinnamon added to a dry white wine. The brown sugar is ok to add but it will ake it drier, less appley, and take much longer to age. If that much percentage of any brew is refined sugar it will taste "funky" unless aged for at least a year, IMO.

You could wait 'till fermentation is done and add some campden and sorbate ($5 total) then backsweeten a few days later with brown sugar, I think that would be awesome, probably more along the lines of what you want.

10/13 on the way - Strong Ale!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
joentuff
Recipes 

ok im a beginer so can you explain backsweetening?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Back sweetening is when you add sugars after fermentation is over and halted with an additive so it doesn't take off again.

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 05-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
If you do decide to use spices don't use the ground/powdered form, use the whole form; cinnamon stick, whole clove, whole allspice, etc... And remember: a little spice goes a long way. This is going to be some high alcohol stuff & will need to age out, spices or no. Regards, GF.

christ almighty... High alchohol indeed - thats two times more added fermentables than I put in my standard 5 gallon batch...
and my stuff will settle your affairs with 2 pints!!

hope you have a healthy liver
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That sounds like a drink for sipping! Perhaps you should add some fortifying spirit to bring it up to 18% abv then you can backsweeten and spice it as much as you want.
I prefer a cider you can drink in big glasses, much more refreshing.

Quick Reply