Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Beer yeast with cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I have a batch going with EC1118 right now... because I am hardcore like that

Actually, its really because I had some lying around.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
Doongie
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doongie
I have 6 gallons, 3 each with S-04 and Montrachet. When I tested SG a couple weeks ago, about 2 weeks after pitching, one was about 1.02, the other was .98. They fermented at approximately the same rate, but I didn't check until 2 weeks, I didn't really care as I was waiting for clarification anyway, but I checked out of curiosity. The samples did taste different, but it was negligible in my opinion, neither was better or worse, just different. Bottling today, just can't seem to wait any longer for clarification.....
After sampling during bottling today, I think I like the Montrachet better right now. The S-04 is a bit more agressive. It's not terrible, but the Montrachet is just easier to drink.

They have both been in the better bottles for 6 weeks, not crystal clear, but acceptable. Both came down to .980 from 1.060 (from the orchard with no additional sugar), looks like they are at about 10.5% abv.

I came to this test by browsing the sticky mentioned above, I thought I would find out what I liked. We'll see after conditioning, but for now I prefer the Montrachet.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Interesting. Even the S-04 went to .980? I would have thought it would have Less attenuation than the Montrachet yeast...

Isn't that the point of trying to use beer yeasts? The lower attenuation levels?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
Doongie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSlayer
Interesting. Even the S-04 went to .980? I would have thought it would have Less attenuation than the Montrachet yeast...

Isn't that the point of trying to use beer yeasts? The lower attenuation levels?
I have never fermented cider before, so I had no preconcieved notions about what might be too dry or too sweet, I did the test because I was interested in variety. Now that you mention it, it would seem maybe beer yeast wouldn't ferment out as low as wine yeast. I did not use anything but Pectic enzyme, so it is entirely possible I had wild yeast in there. I did notice one started much faster than the other, but I did not take notes. Maybe the slow starter actually is wild yeast, and not beer yeast, or even a combination. I assume they did ferment differently though, the trub in one was a different color and the other, and final product is a different color. I'll chalk up the low fg to wild yeast.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

I follow the theory. I 'd love to hear from a few other folks on this topic. Anyone else find that their beer yeast ferments out to dryness when used on a cider?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
ColbyJack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll chime in with a solid "sometimes"... Haha. When I was still bottling, I was on a mission to find a yeast that was low attenuating, so I could ferment all the way, then just prime. I don't enjoy pasteurizing. I've had Nottingham stop early a couple times, Us-05 goes dry, weihenstephan leaves some sugars behind, pacman goes dry. Just my experience. I'm now onto ec-1118, and rudeshiemer (sp?) Wine yeasts and kegging. I'm a huge fan of backsweetening now.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
Doongie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyJack
I'll chime in with a solid "sometimes"... Haha. When I was still bottling, I was on a mission to find a yeast that was low attenuating, so I could ferment all the way, then just prime. I don't enjoy pasteurizing. I've had Nottingham stop early a couple times, Us-05 goes dry, weihenstephan leaves some sugars behind, pacman goes dry. Just my experience. I'm now onto ec-1118, and rudeshiemer (sp?) Wine yeasts and kegging. I'm a huge fan of backsweetening now.
I also was not interested in stovetop pasteurizing, and I don't have enough space to cold crash (which isn't a guarantee of stopping activity anyway, and I am not interested in bottle bombs from misjudging sg) another part of my test was to let them go all the way, then prime and bottle.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #18
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Gonna start another 5 gal. using Nottingham Ale yeast. The instructions are very specific for beer use. I usually make a yeast starter with unsweetened apple juice for champagne yeast. What do you all use for Notty with good results?

Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #19
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

This thread is very interesting to me because I've only used champagne and wine yeast But really want to do some ale yeast so this helps out tons, thanks guys...
I have done batches with EC-1118, D47 But my plan was to get about five batches going All with different beer yeasts.. Nottingham ale, S04 and 4766 And then I need to find two others, if anyone has anything they would like to recommend. I don't think that last one i mentioned is a beer yeast though, I think it's in English cider yeast but I'm not hundred percent on that...

I think you're totally on the right track dude just go for it

Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 01-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #20
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Badger, as a suggestion, try Wyeast 1968 (English ESB) for the low attenuation rate.

Quick Reply