Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Batch 2 Recipe Check, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Blamo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Batch 2 Recipe Check, etc

Ok so now that I have my first batch in the secondary, I thought I'd mix up something else. I'll write the recipe down and if anyone has any suggestions, fire away.

1 gallon plus 1 quart apple cider
Juice of 3 pomegranates - extracted all the kernels and went to town with a potato masher, strained off the liquid - yielded just over a pint.
Dissolved 1 cup sugar and 1/2 pound honey into the pomegranate juice, added to cider.
Added campden - 12 hours later added pectic enzyme - 24 hours later (last night) pitched yeast (Lalvin 1116)

SG prior to yeast was 1070. Wondering if I should add more sugar. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
MikeRLynch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

This is going to yield a dry cider because of the lalvin, and some of the flavor from the apples and the pomegranates are going to be scrubbed out. Let her go all the way to 1.00 or below, then rack into a secondary with applejuice concentrate and more pom juice. This will bring the flavors back. It might start fermenting again, so airlock the secondary and let it sit for a while. Otherwise, sounds good! Let us know how it progresses.

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply