Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Backsweetining with juice drops ABV question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

I don't like using chemicals like Metabisulfite or unfermentable sugars...
I plan to back sweeten and carbonate with the same sugar source.... Juice.
My question is if I ferment all the sugar out of product and it is say 8% alcohol by volume... How do I know what my final alcohol by volume is going to be after I back sweeten?
Some of that sugar is going to make carbonation in the bottles so I don't really understand how I figure what the alcohol by volume is going to be because once I add more juice it's changing the volume?
Any tips?

Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
Satisfaction
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrigade View Post
I don't like using chemicals like Metabisulfite or unfermentable sugars...
I plan to back sweeten and carbonate with the same sugar source.... Juice.
My question is if I ferment all the sugar out of product and it is say 8% alcohol by volume... How do I know what my final alcohol by volume is going to be after I back sweeten?
Some of that sugar is going to make carbonation in the bottles so I don't really understand how I figure what the alcohol by volume is going to be because once I add more juice it's changing the volume?
Any tips?
Do you plan on pasteurizing to stop the bottle fermentation? If not than it would be pretty easy to figure out the new ABV. You have to know the Brix of the juice, how much you are adding and a good guesstimate on where it is going to stop.

If you are going to pasteurize, just need to sacrifice a portion of a carbonated bottle, let the CO2 escape and test the SG.

Careful with bottle bombs either way..

Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satisfaction

Do you plan on pasteurizing to stop the bottle fermentation? If not than it would be pretty easy to figure out the new ABV. You have to know the Brix of the juice, how much you are adding and a good guesstimate on where it is going to stop.

If you are going to pasteurize, just need to sacrifice a portion of a carbonated bottle, let the CO2 escape and test the SG.

Careful with bottle bombs either way..
What is Brix?

Edit: Found Brix
= Degree Brix (symbol °Bx) is the sugar content of an aqueous solution. One degree Brix is 1 gram of sucrose in 100 grams of solution and represents the strength of the solution as percentage by weight (% w/w). If the solution contains dissolved solids other than pure sucrose, then the °Bx only approximates the dissolved solid content. The °Bx is traditionally used in the wine, sugar, fruit juice, and honey industries.

Thank you

Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Quick Reply