Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Backsweetening with Preservative cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 01:23 AM   #1
kserey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Backsweetening with Preservative cider

Hello all,
I've been searching for posts on this, and haven't found any yet. I have a cider going that I was wanting to backsweeten, as it is very dry. I found some cider at a local super market, but it has all kinds of preservatives. I thought this might be perfect for backsweetening. It should prevent renewed fermentation just in the fact that it has sorbates added to it. Has anyone else done this with successful results? thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
Tusch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Preservatives are not a guarantee that fermentation can't occur. Sorvates really only prevent yeast reproduction, adding them to an active fermentation won't stop or prevent fermentation.

Having said that, adding it to an already complete fermentation as you plan on doing may or may not work. I would still stabilize with sorbate and sulfite. And then use your preservafied (yeah its a word today) cider to backsweeten without worry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply