Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Backsweetening cider but maintaining enough yeast for carbonation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 05:41 AM   #1
iBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Backsweetening cider but maintaining enough yeast for carbonation?

I have been reading post after post on stopping a cider after primary with camden tablets and backsweetning with concentrate and/or splenda but I can't figure out how there will be any carbonation if I kill off the yeast. My cider is too dry at less than 1.000 so how do I halt, sweeten and prime 5 gallons to achieve a sweeter flavor and some bubbles in my bottles as well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

In short: no, you can't bottle carbonate and backsweeten with sugar

In long: there have been a few ways discussed, sweetening with an unfermentable (splenda, sevetia, xythol, etc. This is the only way I'd do it), heat pasturizing the bottles once you get the carbonation level you want (IMHO would leave a cooked apple flavor, and possibly some wierdness from sped up fermentation getting up to the right temp), and the last was bottling, letting it carb up, then putting all the bottles in the fridge to delay fermentation (although this may not stop it, and could still result in bottle bombs if left for a longer period of time). In the latter two, you're probably going to end up with quite the sediment in the bottom of the bottles.

All this said, I like my ciders dry and aged for a good amount of time, so I don't bother with all of these anymore.

Note: I still say we need to have a sticky about this, as it's possibly the most commonly asked question on here.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 11-13-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IMHO if you like home made cider you should get used to fully dry. Once you get used to dry, sweetness tastes wrong, and dry is healthier anyway.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrew View Post
I have been reading post after post on stopping a cider after primary with camden tablets and backsweetning with concentrate and/or splenda but I can't figure out how there will be any carbonation if I kill off the yeast. My cider is too dry at less than 1.000 so how do I halt, sweeten and prime 5 gallons to achieve a sweeter flavor and some bubbles in my bottles as well?
Easy. You get into kegging so you can force-carbonate.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How is it being dry healthier?

Jkarp, saying kegging is easy is like saying rocket surgery is easy; just find a rocket and start taking it apart. There's a large equipment outlay with getting kegging equipment, hundreds of dollars worth. Most people can't afford that, even for a simple setup.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 11-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
How is it being dry healthier?

Jkarp, saying kegging is easy is like saying rocket surgery is easy; just find a rocket and start taking it apart. There's a large equipment outlay with getting kegging equipment, hundreds of dollars worth. Most people can't afford that, even for a simple setup.
Ummmm, sorry, No.

OP wants sweet, carbonated cider. Kegging is really the only viable way to do it unless you like the taste of artificial sweeteners. ANYONE can get into kegging for about $60. CLICKY HERE.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Quote:
Kegging is really the only viable way to do it unless you like the taste of artificial sweeteners.
Lactose isn't artificial, doesn't ferment, and it will also give more body to the cider.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Lactose isn't artificial, doesn't ferment, and it will also give more body to the cider.
Agreed, but have you tried it? I had a lactose-sweetened cider once and poured it down the drain while the brewer wasn't looking.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Agreed on the lactose point, tastes bad man.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 11-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
sjlammer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can add wine conditioner to it. or add sorbate to the cider to stop the yeast and then backsweeten with concentrate.

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Quick Reply