Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > backsweeten w/o stabilizing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
chalino
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default backsweeten w/o stabilizing?

What do you guys think if I backsweeten my cider with 2 cans of concentrate after having crash cooled it in a keg? I'd just dump in and mix up the concentrate, no sorbate or sulfite. The temp would be about 40, though I could hold it a while at a temp lower than that to really halt activity. I doubt fermentation would start or if it did, come anywhere close to consuming the added sugars by the time I drink it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Daze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

It will start fermenting however as long as you keep it cold it should be slow. However what yeast did you use?? if you used something like ec-1118 than back-sweetening with out stabilizing is a BAD idea. I prefer to pasteurize rather than add chemicals. Only way to actually kill the yeast.

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply