Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Backsweeten with sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
vemeron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Backsweeten with sugar?

Hi guys new cider maker here,

I just did my first batch of cider and it turned out great. My only problem was it was a little sour for my tastes as i am use to angry orchard and other sweet ciders. so i talked to my brew shop and got some potassium sorbate and my question is now can i backsweeten with table sugar? I know some people have said apple juice concentrate but i am just wondering if sugar is an option. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by vemeron View Post
Hi guys new cider maker here,

I just did my first batch of cider and it turned out great. My only problem was it was a little sour for my tastes as i am use to angry orchard and other sweet ciders. so i talked to my brew shop and got some potassium sorbate and my question is now can i backsweeten with table sugar? I know some people have said apple juice concentrate but i am just wondering if sugar is an option. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sure, you can sweeten it with anything you want. Honey, sugar, molasses, brown sugar, etc. I'd dissolve any addition in a little hot water (or heat up a sample of the cider and dissolve it in that) and then add that to the whole batch.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Virigoth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vemeron
Hi guys new cider maker here, I just did my first batch of cider and it turned out great. My only problem was it was a little sour for my tastes as i am use to angry orchard and other sweet ciders. so i talked to my brew shop and got some potassium sorbate and my question is now can i backsweeten with table sugar? I know some people have said apple juice concentrate but i am just wondering if sugar is an option. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Remember you can always add more but you can't take it out once it is in. I'd make a small test subset and record measurements until I find the mix and them scale it up from there.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Wayneh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I sweeten my hard ciders with equal. Yeast won't eat equal. I use one packet for two 12oz bottles. I think it's perfect. I have done gallons and gallons of hard cider with plenty of crappy ones so I know what works. Peace

Wayne

Old 10-28-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
mdavis0719
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneh
I sweeten my hard ciders with equal. Yeast won't eat equal. I use one packet for two 12oz bottles. I think it's perfect. I have done gallons and gallons of hard cider with plenty of crappy ones so I know what works. Peace
Maybe the yeast know something you don't.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #6
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1568 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Because no one has asked it- are you kegging the cider? Or serving it still?

If you're kegging, then you can use potassium sorbate/campden tablets and backsweeten with whatever you want. Same thing if you want to bottle it but don't want carbonation.

If you are bottling and want it carbonated, the potassium sorbate is a bad plan. You will not be able to carbonate it. If you want it bottled and carbonated without having to carbonate in a keg first, you'll either have to backsweeten with something unfermentable (I use Splenda) or carefully monitor the carbonation, and then pasteurize all the bottles once you reach the right level of carbonation. There's a thread on it here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/. If you really want to use sugar that'll be your only option, otherwise you'll end up at best with bone dry highly carbonated cider, at worst exploding bottles.

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Quick Reply