Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Backsweeten with preserved cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
Ishmo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Backsweeten with preserved cider

Hey all,

I searched and found contradicting posts about this. I got some local cider (5 gal batch) that was UV pasteurized and have that in my fermentor. I went to my HBS and they were out of potassium sorbate. I want to backsweeten with cider that contains p.s. to stop the fermentation so I can bring up the gravity and keg it and then bottle it. The guy at the shop thinks it should work. My only concern is that the cider may have a very low concentration of p.s. and all the yeast won't be killed. Has anyone else tried this method and how did it work for you?

Thanks!
-ishmo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
wreckinball9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

that's an interesting strategy. I like the idea, but i really think the PS content will be too diluted when its added to the fermented cider. Plus, ideally you use both sorbate and sulfite (campden) to prevent fermentation from starting back up. If you used an ale yeast, and cold crash it and rack it well, you might be ok. I would add the new cider in the secondary, cold crash and rack onto it, and let it sit for a little while to see if you can detect fermentation before you bottle.

or even better- not sure what your current SG is, but if possible stop the ferment at 1.010 by racking, cold crashing, rack again. then you dont have to backsweeten and will have a better product.

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply