Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > backsweatening with sulfited AJ (for a keg)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
sashurlow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default backsweatening with sulfited AJ (for a keg)

First off, I'm using a keg, so carbonation is taken care of. I have alreay backsweatened my graf with non-sulfited AJ concentrate and the sweetness slowly fermented away. If I use sulfited AJ will it stay longer or always?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashurlow View Post
First off, I'm using a keg, so carbonation is taken care of. I have alreay backsweatened my graf with non-sulfited AJ concentrate and the sweetness slowly fermented away. If I use sulfited AJ will it stay longer or always?
Thanks
No. Sulfites don't affect yeast.

In order to sweeten, and not have fermentation recur, sorbate is used when the cider is clear and before sweetened. Sorbate keeps yeast from reproducing, so fermentation can't restart.

Normally, a clear cider is racked onto sulfites (campden) and sorbate and then allowed to sit for a few days. Then it is sweetened to taste. Most of the time, fermentation doesn't restart after stabilizing.

Keeping it cold, as in a kegerator, also can slow down the refermentation if it does start up again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply