Back sweeten at serving time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siletzspey

Reaction score
When "back sweetening" is discussed here, it seems to be an after-fermentation during-bottling only proposition.

Does any back-sweeten upon serving for drinking? Any tips or tricks when doing so?

With only 2 seasons of making small batches of apple cider and berry wines, my wife and I still just put a spoon or so of table sugar in the glass immediately after pouring, and stir. We've been happy with the result, but I'm wondering about the elegance of doing that when we have enough to serve to friends. Back-sweetening the whole bottle at-pour-time would be nice.

Maybe I need to break down and learn to back-sweeten pre-bottling.

--SiletzSpey

If I want to backsweeten that is the way I do it, you don't need to add a lot. It's easy to keep a bottle of juice in the fridge, no special technique needed. Just add to taste.

If I were back sweetening at serving I would either use simple syrup and pour the bottle onto a predetermined amount of syrup, that way there's no oxidation from stirring and less carbonation loss. Or I would do the same thing with juice or concentrate.

I will freeze a gallon of apple juice and used the the pure apple sugar that doesn't freeze to cut my ciders at serving time. Give it a nice crisp sweet flavor.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back