Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Back sweeten cider + bottle priming
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
crash_cohen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 10
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Back sweeten cider + bottle priming

Hi new to the forum, also new to cider making just started this fall. Made an apple press and grinder with a friend of mine.
Anyway my cider is done fermenting and I am wanting to back sweeten some of it as well as bottle prime it for carbonation. I would rather not use splenda or any kind of artificial sweetener of that kind, so I bought a wine conditioner from my local brewery store made by Global Vintners which she said I could use to back sweeten before bottling but as I was looking at the ingredients in the conditioner they include liquid invert sugar as well as potassium sorbate. If I use anything with potassium sorbate in it will it not kill off the yeast making it impossible for me to bottle prime with dextrose.?

__________________
crash_cohen is offline
flibe Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
ryane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 805
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

yes sorbate will kill yeast and not allow for bottle conditioning, maybe they thought you wanted to bottle still cider?

theres a sticky about cider pasteurization that allows for sweet ciders you should take a look

ryane is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 02:01 AM   #3
MikeG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,020
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

I think you're stuck with either backsweeting with non fermentable sugar then carbing (naturally) or backsweeting with fermentable sugar but you'll have still.

I'm also in this dilemma; either I use one of my kegs to force carb (allowing natural sugar to backsweeten) or if I prefer to bottle I'll just use splenda.

I'm curious, is there a weird taste when using Splenda that you're aware of?

__________________
http://www.inhbc.org/ - Atlanta area brew club.
MikeG is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
Pappers_
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pappers_'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12,090
Liked 1023 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I think you're stuck with either backsweeting with non fermentable sugar then carbing (naturally) or backsweeting with fermentable sugar but you'll have still.

I'm also in this dilemma; either I use one of my kegs to force carb (allowing natural sugar to backsweeten) or if I prefer to bottle I'll just use splenda.

I'm curious, is there a weird taste when using Splenda that you're aware of?
Two easy options to consider when using sugars or fruit juice to backsweeten bottle conditioned and carbonated cider:

1. Check the carbonation by opening a bottle every few days and when the carbonation is at the right level, stop the fermentation by chilling it (you'll need to keep the bottles in the fridge, though)

or

2. Do the same as above, but instead of chilling the bottles, heat pasteurize them on the stove by immersing them in a 190 degree hot water bath for 10 minutes.
__________________
http://www.singingboysbrewing.com

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"


"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy
Pappers_ is offline
JR_Brewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 03:34 AM   #5
crash_cohen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 10
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I tried sweetening with splenda as I would really like to bottle carb, added 2tsp of splenda to 750ml of cider. Just enough to bring the sweetness up a little and I didnt seem to get the artificial sweetener taste, although im not sure what the result would be with adding more to get a sweeter cider..or how it will taste with some age.

__________________
crash_cohen is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 03:39 AM   #6
crash_cohen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 10
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Two easy options to consider when using sugars or fruit juice to backsweeten bottle conditioned and carbonated cider:

1. Check the carbonation by opening a bottle every few days and when the carbonation is at the right level, stop the fermentation by chilling it (you'll need to keep the bottles in the fridge, though)

or

2. Do the same as above, but instead of chilling the bottles, heat pasteurize them on the stove by immersing them in a 190 degree hot water bath for 10 minutes.
This sounds like it could work, have to play around the with the amount of sugar I use to sweeten and time to allow for carbing as it would need the balance of making it sweetened enough while allowing for enough carbonation, the fridge method would work but as I dont want to rely on storing in the fridge at all times I think the heat pasteurizing may be the next best thing, bringing the temperature up in the bottle causing gases to expand in the bottle wont create to much pressure though??
__________________
crash_cohen is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #7
crash_cohen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 10
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

thanks for the pointers guys, have 3 different versions going so what I get in three weeks.

__________________
crash_cohen is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 02:51 AM   #8
MeadWitch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South of Weird, TX
Posts: 311
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_cohen View Post
This sounds like it could work, have to play around the with the amount of sugar I use to sweeten and time to allow for carbing as it would need the balance of making it sweetened enough while allowing for enough carbonation, the fridge method would work but as I dont want to rely on storing in the fridge at all times I think the heat pasteurizing may be the next best thing, bringing the temperature up in the bottle causing gases to expand in the bottle wont create to much pressure though??
Crash, I back sweetened mine pretty heavily because as Pappers says, I have bit of a sweet tooth. When I bottled them, I made sure I got at least 4 small half bottles for testing. I kept a close eye on them and after 4 1/2 days they were ready to pastuerize. I didn't find that heating them created to much pressure at all, in face I was more concern with the beer bottles not being thick enough (I am used to mead bottles). It was easy peesy. I am gonna test another one come Friday night because I am taking a six pack or two to a party on Saturday. Using Pappers pastuerization method was a no brainer.
__________________
Primary: Cider House Rules Cider

Tertiary: Sweet Dried Cherry/Vanilla Mead, Prickly Pear Mead, Jalapeno-Peach Sweet Mead

Bottled: Huajillo Honey Mead - 4 bottles only, first ever mead, Light Draft Style Cider, Raspberry Mead, Hibiscus Mead, JAOM, Peach Melba Mead, Limoncello, Kahlua, Spiced Winter Cider, Orange/Vanilla Mead
MeadWitch is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
Fletch78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 1,347
Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Careful, I've done the same thing, used test bottles, then pasteurized, and still got champagne. Had I let them age longer, they probably would have exploded. One of them actually knocked the flip-top off the bottle and across the room, wire and all, when I opened it.


My best cider to-date was juice+yeast, splenda and priming sugar for bottling.

__________________
Fletch78 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Lunarpancake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Monmouth County NJ
Posts: 417
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch78 View Post
Careful, I've done the same thing, used test bottles, then pasteurized, and still got champagne. Had I let them age longer, they probably would have exploded. One of them actually knocked the flip-top off the bottle and across the room, wire and all, when I opened it.


My best cider to-date was juice+yeast, splenda and priming sugar for bottling.
You didin't reach full pasteurization then. Yeast was still alive somehow.


also note: when pasteurizing its best to put a rag in the pot of 190degree water to put a barrier between the bottles and the bottom of the pot.
__________________
Lunarpancake is offline
pkrath84 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using Stevia to back sweeten cider dmulligan Cider Forum 10 11-18-2014 02:50 AM
How to sweeten, carbonate, and bottle my cider Photopilot Cider Forum 8 02-03-2011 02:39 PM
back sweeten George7845 Cider Forum 2 05-14-2010 12:00 PM
To back sweeten or not theguy Cider Forum 7 09-22-2009 02:01 PM
Back sweeten or? MKelly Cider Forum 2 04-10-2009 02:09 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS