New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Back Carb \ Sweetening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
popnfrresh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Back Carb \ Sweetening

I am looking to make a sweet carbonated cider.

I will be adding a non fermentable sugar ( Xylitol ) to sweeten. How much should I add or consider adding to a 4g batch? I want it to be semi sweet.

With carbonation, I would like to skip cold crashing/pasteurizing. How much corn sugar should I add to carbonate 4g without having to do either?
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html How accurate is this calculator?

If I do this correctly, I can have the sweeteneed and carbonated cider without cold crashing / pasteurizing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 101

You certainly can! I can't help with how much Xylitol, but those calculators work great. Don't carb above 3 volumes of CO2 in standard glass bottles, and make sure you boil the sugar in a little water then put it in your bottling bucket before racking. If you need general bottling tips, check out the stickies in the "bottling/kegging" subforum.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
popnfrresh
Recipes 

After the fermentation does the cider have about 1 residual volume meaning I can only add 2 volumes, or can I add three volumes to it?

The bottles can hold about 4-5 volumes from what I have read but I only want to do about 2 volumes unless anyone else has any recommendations on what a cider should have.

This will be my first bottling as my last batch went to wine then vinegar.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Regarding carb level, it's completely up to you. Some people enjoy more carbonation in a cider, some people less. If you're using thick-walled glass bottles or plastic bottles, you can probably do above 3 volumes, but otherwise I'd keep 3 as your max. You don't want the bottles to explode! And that's the total carbonation, including residual post-fermentation CO2.

If you input "3 volumes" into that calculator you linked, it will give you the appropriate amount of sugar to get a total of 3 volumes including the residual CO2.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
progmac
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 250

the carb volume is easy -- the tricky part is going to be finding how much xylitol to add. most people recommend adding a measured amount to, say, half a pint until it is at the desired sweetness. then scale up from there.

from what i know, you'll probably want in the neighborhood of 2/3 cup (125 grams)

let us know how much xylitol you add and how it turns out. there aren't a lot of field reports out there.

Quick Reply