Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Attenuation and OG/FG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
siletzspey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Attenuation and OG/FG

For two cider seasons now, I've used Safale S-04 on home pressed apple juice with a 1.054 OG, I then added some sugar, and they finished at 0.994 FG. I've used 3 other yeasts and gotten similar results, with 0.992-0.996 FGs.

I'm now trying to understand attenuation, and Safale S-04 has an (apparent?) attenuation of 75%. Ignoring the sugar, 75% attenuation on 1.054 should yield 1.013 FG. My actual results are over 100%.

What's the disconnect? How do I hit 100%+ on a yeast rated for 75%? What is the 75% number really trying to tell me? Is it a minimum or average? It certainly isn't a max.

To flip the conversation a bit. I just started in on 35lbs+ total batch of raspberries, plums and blackberries, and I was pondering what final alcohol level to hit, and thus how much sugar I'd have to add. As I started to read about attenuation, I started to wonder if I needed to over-dose on the sugar, in anticipation of only getting 75% attenuation and hence only ~75% of the alcohol I was shooting for. For now I don't plan to over-dose.

--SiletzSpey

http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Randzor
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well the cool thing abouts is that they are all simple sugars, so no attenuations % to worry about. Attenuation has to deal with beer and how the have proteins and complex.sugars that throw of the hydrometer.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
bernardsmith
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randzor View Post
Well the cool thing abouts is that they are all simple sugars, so no attenuations % to worry about. Attenuation has to deal with beer and how the have proteins and complex.sugars that throw of the hydrometer.
Totally agree. For all intents and purposes the sugars in apple are 100 percent fermentable. Unless your yeast cannot tolerate the concentration of sugar or the alcohol content the yeast will ferment 100 percent of the sugars. My guess is that ale yeasts give up the ghost at about 12 or 13 percent ABV so perhaps you want to use wine yeasts to ferment your cider rather than beer yeasts. I generally use QA 23 or 71B with good results.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:36 AM   #4
siletzspey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the answers - it all makes sense now.

Today I crushed up 4 gallons raspberry, 3 gallons plum and 1 gallon of blackberry, and will be trying 71B and RC-212. Apple pressing is likely 2 weeks out.

--SiletzSpey

Old 08-18-2014, 05:36 AM   #5
siletzspey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the answers - it all makes sense now.

Today I crushed up 4 gallons raspberry, 3 gallons plum and 1 gallon of blackberry, and will be trying 71B and RC-212. Apple pressing is likely 2 weeks out.

--SiletzSpey

Quick Reply