Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Archeology...of a a sort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
kc9eci
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Archeology...of a a sort

I'm brewing again, after about an 11 year absence. I stopped about the time our last daughter was born. With my recent renewed interest, I was in the basement looking for the lid to my keg. I had this feeling that it might be under the stairs. Much to my surprise, once I started moving things about, I uncovered a laundry basket covered in dust and filled with brown bottles.

Full brown bottles. I was quite pleased as I have a batch that will need to be bottled around the end of next week. I held one up to the light and was amazed at how clear the liquid inside was. I thought I'd have a little fun and brought it upstairs and rinsed the bottle off. Called my wife over to witness it as I pried the cap off. It let out a 'pssst.' Wow, still carbonated! So I gave it the sniff test...didn't smell bad. Only one thing left to do at this point...taste it. Surprisingly it was quite good. This was an attempt at making apple cider. Pretty much the same approach that EdWorts Apfelwein takes. I don't recall how much or what kind of sugar or yeast I used any more. I went and got a few more bottles out and have cleaned them off and put them in the fridge to cool down. I think I'll set up the camera tomorrow and video record an opening and pouring.

Last edited by kc9eci; 01-29-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: eye kant spelz

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nice!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Nice find! I found a few bottles of porter in the basement a few months back that were about 12 years old. Unfortunately they didn't age as well as yours. It tasted like Prunes and Harvey's Bristol Cream.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
nwaite
Recipes 

Man I can't wait to have been brewing long enough for this kind of stuff to happen to me.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
ButcherBoy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I have some 10 year old Dandilion Wine that needs bottled. After it finished it had little fibers floating around that I always intended to filter out, forgot about it and recently 'found' it and all the fibers have settled. I tasted and it's good! Time to bottle! Too bad it's only 1 gallon.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
kc9eci
Recipes 

I'll do battle with the video files later.

Quick Reply