Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > applejack recipe for a homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #11
MattTimBell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

roady, about length of time on oak, I'm not sure. I suspect concentration of alcohol in the surrounding environment might speed things up. I've only used cubes once -- a couple ozs of American oak (dark toasted), soaked in rum for about a week and then dumped into a 8% ABV Belgian Dark Strong for about a month. At first the oak was unpleasently strong (but not gross), then it rapidly tapered off til the beer was excellent and very balanced after about another month. The amount was about 3 gal. For a single mason jar of much stronger stuff? All I could advise is try it and taste maybe once every two weeks, stopping when it becomes oaked enough for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #12
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
freeze concentrating is a no no to mention on this forum . . . think it falls under the whole distillation thing legally
Pumbaa, I've specifically told you before that we allow the topic. Again, if you want to further discuss, debate, or explore the legal ramifications of freeze concentration, please start a new thread in the appropriate subforum.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
MattTimBell
Recipes 

I've noticed a few people mentioning fusels, either explicitly as in pumbaa's post or tacitly (with the bad hangover....) I'm curious about ways to minimize their production to begin with. My local HBS advised me to use a blow off tube even with batches that weren't going to overflow, citing that the fusels tended to be blown out during production. I've tried it with a couple high gravity batches (again, not with cider -- but I suspect things would work the same way), and it seems to have worked. The resulting batches were less hot than the ones I'd made before.

I've also read that yeasts produce more of these at higher temps and higher gravities, so start lower along both dimensions, and you'll get less of the unwantables. Can anyone confirm?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts

never heard the blow off theory before, but high temps will absolutely create fusels that you don’t want. It does depend on the yeast strain as to what is considered high temps

Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #15
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTimBell View Post
I've noticed a few people mentioning fusels, either explicitly as in pumbaa's post or tacitly (with the bad hangover....) I'm curious about ways to minimize their production to begin with. My local HBS advised me to use a blow off tube even with batches that weren't going to overflow, citing that the fusels tended to be blown out during production. I've tried it with a couple high gravity batches (again, not with cider -- but I suspect things would work the same way), and it seems to have worked. The resulting batches were less hot than the ones I'd made before.

I've also read that yeasts produce more of these at higher temps and higher gravities, so start lower along both dimensions, and you'll get less of the unwantables. Can anyone confirm?
Best way to reduce their production during fermentation is to ferment as cool as you can while still getting the yeast to work as long as it can. The other way to get rid of them (and the best IMHO) is via a process that will get another one of my posts deleted or result in further admonishment.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 22

i don't think it's too controversial to say that professional distillers discard the first bit of runoff from the still because it is contains a higher percentage of fusels and methanol, (which i don't fully understand since some of the so called fusels like the smaller propanols have a similar or higher boiling point to ethanol...) but the idea of fusels being reduced by a blow off tube is definitely pseudoscience! i think people like to seem knowledgeable regardless of whether or not they possess knowledge, and i suspect your lhbs guy is making dung sculptures. even if that were true, why would a blowoff tube make a difference compared to an airlock? go with prevention rather than weird cure!
btw, andrew lea in 'craft cider making' recommends temps below 20c, but for the reason that higher temp reduces the fruity flavors in the finished drink rather than to reduce fusels, he says go with as low as possible but high enough for good yeast activity which is generally around 15c

Old 06-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
Larzean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I wanted to try this off some of the famous apfelwine, if I dripped into sanitized mason jar(s) would that be ok to store/age in? How long should this age?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #18
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzean View Post
If I wanted to try this off some of the famous apfelwine, if I dripped into sanitized mason jar(s) would that be ok to store/age in? How long should this age?
That's how I'm aging mine.

My first try so not sure how long, Figured I'd give it 6 months. Gonna throw a few oak chips in as soon as i remember to.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #19
icanbenchurcat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I am currently freezing 2 gallons of 10% cider brewed particularly cold, then aged for two weeks. Might try freezing the 1 gal or so I get, or splitting the batch. Funday Sunday!

Quick Reply