Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Applejack-like Apple Spirit without Distillation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
ThunderPanda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Applejack-like Apple Spirit without Distillation

I am planning to make a very strong, spirit-like drink. My plan is to use a yeast with very high alcohol tolerance (more than 20%), give it enough sugar to ferment to completion and make a very strong apple wine. Then I want to Ice it in order to take some of the water out, leading to an even stronger drink. My goal is to get to at least 30%. So a few questions for you guys. If you have any experience in any part of this, please share!

1. Can anyone recommend a good yeast with very high tolerance? I can just try one but a recommendation would be great haha. Advice on getting it to approach its rated tolerance would help too. (I have nutrient, what else should I do?)
2. When making a strong wine, do you typically dump all the sugar in at the beginning or can I just add some after the first week? It looks like I am going to need an original gravity of 1.150 or higher, which could be tricky lol...
3. Does anyone have any experience with icing beverages or know of any good resources for it? I don't really know anything specific about it.
4. After I ice it, is there anyway for me to figure out the ABV? Or am I just gonna have to guesstimate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Priemus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I suppose you would want to repitch anyway, so perhaps start it off with something like notthingham, ferment it for a week and repitch a champagne yeast, or even better a sake yeast to finish up?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
ThunderPanda
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update: I found this super-high tolerance yeast from white labs "WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale Yeast" (http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp099.html) which seems like it would be ideal since it can get to 25% ABV potentially. It looks really hard to use based on the information on the page. All the things seem doable, but I have some questions.

5. If I wanted to get to that ABV, it requires an insane amount of aeration. They recommend using an aquarium pump to constantly pump air into the brew. Will this cause problems, such as the whole thing turning to vinegar? It seems to me that the airlock would be made pointless.
6. It also says that I should probably add sugar in tiers, so I guess I have my answer for number 2.

I am excited to try this now that I found a yeast that goes even higher than I thought possible!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
ThunderPanda
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

More info on the WLP099 http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_super.html

Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 335 Posts
Likes Given: 8

"Turbo yeast" and a lot of sugar will give you greater amounts http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/appl...56/index2.html

of methyl. These yeasts are meant for heat distillation where the first and last alcohols are discarded. I simply froze a few liters of Edworts Applewine, and upended it w/ a funnel to retrieve the unfrozen portion.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You will want to research standard nutrient additions, degassing and step-feeding. I'm definitely not encouraging this, concentration of alcohol by freezing will do just that, concentrate everything else other than the water. You are going to be stressing out the yeast in all sorts of ways to get this to work, which will mean a high amount of fusel alcohols. I wouldn't expect this to taste that great but would expect a hell of a headache at the very least after consuming.

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Old 04-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 296 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPanda View Post
Update: I found this super-high tolerance yeast from white labs "WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale Yeast" (http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp099.html) which seems like it would be ideal since it can get to 25% ABV potentially. It looks really hard to use based on the information on the page. All the things seem doable, but I have some questions.
Keep in mind that the 25% quoted by Wyest is for beer wort...not apple juice/cider/must. It may or may not work as well, even if you go through the extensive manipulations they suggest. From what I understand, the sugar profiles of the two sources are different, which would obviously give different fermentations.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I would think you would want a turbo yeast, or a L-1118 at the least. You will likely lose a lot of good flavor so you may want to consider back sweetening with cider. I freeze my fresh pressed cider and thaw it halfway to get a nice concentrated, apple filled backsweetener. I would think this would give you the best results for flavor.

It might need some serious aging before it is any good.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Keep in mind that the 25% quoted by Wyest is for beer wort...not apple juice/cider/must. It may or may not work as well, even if you go through the extensive manipulations they suggest. From what I understand, the sugar profiles of the two sources are different, which would obviously give different fermentations.
I would assume it would work better on musts compared to worts. Musts are made of simple sugars compared to complex sugars that are in worts (easier to break down in must).

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 04-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
wildman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
You will likely lose a lot of good flavor so you may want to consider back sweetening with cider. I freeze my fresh pressed cider and thaw it halfway to get a nice concentrated, apple filled backsweetener. I would think this would give you the best results for flavor.
I like this. Would you mind describing the procedure and results? I use store bought concentrate to prime with but this would allow me further control. What happens to the ph? It seems obvious that more flavor would be retained vs a heat reduction. Have you compared?

Sorry for the hijacking.

Quick Reply