Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > applejack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
jod1090
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

its my first time makeing a hard apple cider, i was wondering if anyone has any good tips for brewing a cider so i can get a good batch.

and also ive been reading alot about apple jack and how its just a distilled form of hard apple cider, i understand its illegal but isnt it just if you sell it??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I'm no lawyer but from what I understand about distillation, it us illegal for safety concerns and not the finished product itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I think most Apple jack uses the freeze distillation method where you scoop the ice off of an already freezing batch rather than heating it to boil off the alcohol. The distillation tank can produce bad alcohol variants like methanol if not done with the right equipment and procedure.

I do not think producing Apple jack using freeze method is illegal but again, I'm no expert.

That said, selling anything alcoholic at all is illegal without an atf license (us brewing). You're allowed to make wine beer cider for your own consumption up to a limit, but its some asanine number that you'd have to drink all day every day to hit it.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 22

this topic, including the legality or otherwise of freeze concentrating, and various techniques, has been beaten to death multiple times on this site, search the forum for applejack threads

Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
jod1090
Recipes 

i do agree about the freeze distiling, also i didnt know i could search, i just got this forum on my phone still learning how to use it. thanks man

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS