Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apple Wine & Apple Jack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #21
Brew_Master
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

thanks but I already found a bunch of e-books here:
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6133...illation_Books
I recommend the Sony PRS-505 and you will never read a regular book again. I love being able to carry around a complete library in my pocket. The e-ink technology is amazing, such high resolution that you can't hardly tell that the font is digital.
sorry for the

Last edited by Brew_Master; 01-29-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #22
goaler29
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_Master View Post
I don't know about applejack ,all I had is Ice Beer and I always thought it was pretty safe,oh and legal because what happens if someone forgets his cider outside to long during the winter to cold crash it and being impatient drinks some,is he busted?
oh and Heiney where can I get The Alaskan Bootleggers Bible or The Compleat Distiller?
Exactly! Ice House, or Bud Ice are both done with fractional freezing as a part of the process. That is sold commercially, so it cant be that bad. That and apple jack is as american as baseball. its been done for years and if it was really THAT dangerous to consume then any moral author of any recipe book would put in something that states such dangers. Plus is this topic really anything to get your panties all in a bunch about?

Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #23
becon776
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cidah mastah... love ur input but gotta ask?? Ever crank through a rocks glass of johnny walker blue? Or glenn fiord highland scotch? Some people like the grimace the character and warmth that goes with a sip of something that equals eight times the strength of our raw product.

Now about the fusel alcohols I am finding all these claims on here extremely circumstantial. I would love to see something more detailed and perhaps peer reviewed about the life cycle and effects of the derivative. Some places say it just causes hangovers and some say it causes blindness. Confused. ABSOLUTELY LOVE the idea that freeze concentrating also concentrates the flavors present as opposed the the illegal distillation.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #24
Heineken_Draught
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

about the blindness issue, methanol which is a lighter alcohol than ethanol causes blindness and I also thought that fusels are is such a small concentration that all they ever cause is a bad hangover(nasty throbbing headache)

Old 01-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #25
Rockape66
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Check out Annie Proulx and Ben Watson. They get rather detailed about this process, and its' dangers. This is considered "fractal distillation" and IS illegal in the U.S. Remember this, ever hear the term "Scrumpy"? Well, this term is an old appellation for cider before people knew about nutrients needed for proper fermentation, so when their fermentation stuck they would add a piece of beef or mutton to their cider barrel. This did act as a nitrogen source to complete fermentation, but I understand the results were vile.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #26
becon776
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yup methanol is bad news but chemically its not even close to the fusel bi product so im wondering where this blndness claim is.coming from.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #27
Heineken_Draught
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yep like I said fusels are heavier alcohols than ethanol as opposed to the lighter methanol so they are completely different,and like discussed in these threads:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/free...lation-104882/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/appl...attack-210972/
it is completely legal,I mean how can freezing something in you're own freezer be illegal,and it is also impossible to prove if a really anal prosecutor would decide to charge you.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #28
Brew_Master
Recipes 

To settle this legal thing, i contacted the ATF here in Denver, and they said something like this "People call us all the time and ask us this. It has never been decided in a court of law whether this process is, in fact, distilling. There is no precedent for homebrewers in Denver as to whether a case has been tried. However, it is very unlikely that Denver has the resources to peruse criminal charges on a case that would probably be ruled legitimate homebrewing by the judge. I would suggest to you that it is, in fact, probably legal, because there has been no precedent set against it. We've been making a distinction to our agents and telling them freeze concentration is legal."
so don't worry,be happy,have a home icebeer

Old 01-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #29
Heineken_Draught
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

or a home AppleJack
P.S. I hate how the legal dispute gets brought up every time this comes up. If it were illegal, it would be pretty hard to bust. You could just say you accidentally forgot to put the temp controller back on the freezer. Plenty of people use chest freezers as kegerators.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #30
goaler29
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_Master View Post
To settle this legal thing, i contacted the ATF here in Denver, and they said something like this "People call us all the time and ask us this. It has never been decided in a court of law whether this process is, in fact, distilling. There is no precedent for homebrewers in Denver as to whether a case has been tried. However, it is very unlikely that Denver has the resources to peruse criminal charges on a case that would probably be ruled legitimate homebrewing by the judge. I would suggest to you that it is, in fact, probably legal, because there has been no precedent set against it. We've been making a distinction to our agents and telling them freeze concentration is legal."
so don't worry,be happy,have a home icebeer

awesome!

Quick Reply