New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apple Wine & Apple Jack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
Heineken_Draught
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well about the fusels,you are just concentrating the alcohol not making more of it,so if you drink the same amount of alcohol as you would from wine you should be ok.
Plus a few months ago me and my friend drank a bottle of his Apple Jack(about 25-30%ABV) and we just got drunk,really drunk but nothing else.
I guess you also have to be careful not to have any fusels in there in the first place,like fermenting at a lower temp.

P.S. I just found a copy of the The Alaskan Bootleggers Bible to download(thank you internet) thanks for mentioning it cuz it's the best homebrewing book I've found so far.

Last edited by Heineken_Draught; 01-28-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
goaler29
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
be careful of fusel concentrations. The manner you describe making the high octane hooch will lead to high concentrations of fusel alc and also... lead to blindness. This is why this method isn't used anymore. You can't separate out the good from the bad, so you get concentrated bad with your concentrated good. I wouldn't recc this, or drink much of it.
Im not worried. Assuming I didnt fractional freeze it to separate out the alc, it would still be apple wine and the same amount of fusel concentrations would be there along with alcohol. Its fermenting at around 65-70 deg so like i said if i dont freeze it it'll be apple wine or hard cider still around 18% alcohol.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

"it would still be apple wine and the same amount of fusel concentrations would be there along with alcohol."
This is faulty logic.

Would you ever drink 5 gallons of wine at once? Well guess what when you remove all that ice that is the water, thus, concentrating the alc and the fusel alc making it potentially dangerous because you consume more in one sitting.

Another example for you.... is aspirin safe to take every day? Sure. But is it safe to take 365 aspirin at once? Hey why not, you were gonna take them daily for a year anyway? See where your logic falls flat?

Freeze distillation is not safe. Commercial distillers use fractional heat distillation.

ever hear of jake leg?

http://www.ibiblio.org/moonshine/drink/jake.html

Check out the most basic of sources (wikipedia), or read the compleat distiller.

"Fractional freezing can be used as a simple method to increase the alcohol concentration in fermented alcoholic beverages, a process sometimes called freeze distillation. Examples are applejack, made from hard cider, and ice beer. Freeze distillation of alcoholic beverages is illegal in many countries, as it can concentrate poisonous compounds, for example fusel alcohols, in the original fermented beverage to unhealthy levels; heated distillation methods tend to eliminate these more harmful fermentation products. In practice, while not able to produce an alcohol concentration comparable to distillation, this technique can achieve some concentration with far less effort than any practical distillation apparatus would require."

Believe it or not, this is illegal so stupid people don't harm themselves or others with their tainted hooch.

g' head, drink up.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Heineken_Draught
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

chill man all I was saying is that if you know how to make a good wine you wont have a lot of fusels to begin with and if you double the alcohol from 15 to 30%ABV you should be ok.
And for the legal matter what I do with my wine and my freezer is my own Goddamn business and I believe this has been covered in previous posts and is not illegal...if I'm wrong please show me a link to a government site stating so (STAY OUT OF MY FREEZER FBI):
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/freeze-distillation-104882/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/applejack-attack-210972/

P.S. oh and that jake leg thing is a bunch of bull, in the 1930s during prohibition moonshiners made a lot of cheap booze to sell cuz it was illeagal to buy it anywhere else(thats what happens if you make alcohol illegal) and they probably didn't even bother to separate the heads and tails from the hearts,with just a little bit of basic knowledge all is fine,I also recommend The Compleat Distiller.

Last edited by Heineken_Draught; 01-28-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Paps Likes This 
Old 01-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

hey if you understand the risks and want to take them that is your call. It is illegal in the U.S. (any distillation of alcohol) - go ask cop, a judge or get a lawyer to cite you the statute. I am not doing this at home, so I don't need the statute. Ignorance is not an excuse under the eyes of the law.

My point is, it is your risk, and you should not subject others to it or speak as if what you are saying is truth when it is in fact assumption. Some people may read this and try it not understanding the risks.

All that said, if/when the laws change, I will probably be one of the first to buy a still and try it out. But until the law changes, I will have no part in it. It is a felony violation.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #16
Brew_Master
Recipes 

I don't know about applejack ,all I had is Ice Beer and I always thought it was pretty safe,oh and legal because what happens if someone forgets his cider outside to long during the winter to cold crash it and being impatient drinks some,is he busted?
oh and Heiney where can I get The Alaskan Bootleggers Bible or The Compleat Distiller?

Old 01-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
Heineken_Draught
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

just search "homebrew books" on thepiratebay there is a whole collection of useful books, I also recommend The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charles Papazian.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #18
Brew_Master
Recipes 

hey thanks I've been looking for E-book versions of these oldies for a long time,cheers

Old 01-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #19
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This is the "how to brew" Palmer book of the Distilling world, though some of it can be complicated.

http://www.amazon.com/Compleat-Distiller-Michael-Nixon/dp/0476008190 - compleat distiller

I should note: if you can't understand the book, its principles, etc., you shouldn't be thinking about pursuing it even if legal.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #20
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heineken_Draught View Post
P.S. oh and that jake leg thing is a bunch of bull, in the 1930s during prohibition moonshiners made a lot of cheap booze to sell cuz it was illeagal to buy it anywhere else(thats what happens if you make alcohol illegal) and they probably didn't even bother to separate the heads and tails from the hearts,with just a little bit of basic knowledge all is fine,I also recommend The Compleat Distiller.

Listen guys I hear ya. But you have to remember - there are stupid people everywhere. I agree it can be safely done, with proper precautions. But many people read it on a forum and don't do the leg work (like it sounds like you have started to do).

I am happy you have touched a few good books - if you are gonna do it, you are gonna share with friends. So at least you will have hedged a good bet that know one will be harmed by it.

In the case of Jake leg - I agree with why it happened (bad brewing conditions/ no separation of runs). But even with any distillation by freezing, you aren't separating your foreshots, heads, tails etc. So you run similar risks if you drink this stuff all the time.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply