Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apple Wine & Apple Jack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Brewho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apple Wine & Apple Jack

So Fall is here and the apples are ripe. My girlfriends aunt has an apple farm and an apple press. so we decided to go up there and fill up a carboy. I was gonna make plain old hard cider but i heard somewhere about apple jack and decided to give it a try. So to make the apple wine i used about 4 gallons of that super sweet and fresh homemade cider. Then i added about 4 and a half cups of raw sugar from whole foods. For the yeast im using champagne yeast. and i probably gonna let it ferment and age for about 3 weeks, at which point i will bottle some and put the rest outside in upside down plastic gallon jugs, in order to make the apple jack. What do you guys think?

Also its been a little more that 24 hours and bubbling is sparse. There is a pretty thick layer at the bottum that i cant tell if its sugar or yeast. I just poured the sugar in. should i have boiled it down into a syrup before adding it, or is it fine to just pour in regular course sugar. I just hoping the layer at the bottum isnt all sugar.

what are your thoughts comments suggestions?

Thaanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Brewho
Recipes 

oh i forgot i dumped some cinnamon (about 1 tbsp or two) and a little lemon juice in. Also 2 teaspoons of pectic enzyme and t teaspoons of yeast nutrient. decided to skip on the campden tablets

Old 10-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
RukusDM
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewho View Post
So Fall is here and the apples are ripe. My girlfriends aunt has an apple farm and an apple press. so we decided to go up there and fill up a carboy. I was gonna make plain old hard cider but i heard somewhere about apple jack and decided to give it a try. So to make the apple wine i used about 4 gallons of that super sweet and fresh homemade cider. Then i added about 4 and a half cups of raw sugar from whole foods. For the yeast im using champagne yeast. and i probably gonna let it ferment and age for about 3 weeks, at which point i will bottle some and put the rest outside in upside down plastic gallon jugs, in order to make the apple jack. What do you guys think?

Also its been a little more that 24 hours and bubbling is sparse. There is a pretty thick layer at the bottum that i cant tell if its sugar or yeast. I just poured the sugar in. should i have boiled it down into a syrup before adding it, or is it fine to just pour in regular course sugar. I just hoping the layer at the bottum isnt all sugar.

what are your thoughts comments suggestions?

Thaanks
Did you dissolve the yeast in warm water or anything before adding?

I'm just getting started myself with cider. I'm also using Champagne yeast, but my recipe had called for allot more sugar, which I found out too late was quite a bit.

I started the yeast by putting it into a cup or so of luke warm water and added sugar then stired. I let it go until it had a froth on it, then added that to the cider mixture in my carboy. I then shook it up pretty vigorously and installed the airlock.

After about 8 hours it was bubbling pretty well (about 1 large bubble every 2 sec). After one day it was really going, with a large bubble or 2 every second. Quite aggressively fermenting now after 3 days...kinda sounds like rice crispys. I'm told its aggressive as I had a large level of sugar in it.

It might make sense to agitate it now as it is probably all of the sugar on the bottom.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think that putting the sugars in, in granule form, is actually beneficial to the process. Basically you end up with a lower gravity through the duration of the ferment, but as the sugars are eaten, more are dissolved. At least that's my theory. After a few days all of the dextrose was fully dissipated.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Brewho
Recipes 

do you speak from experience hex? I was planning on following rukus' advice and shaking it up a good bit, any other opinions?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just started an apfelwein last saturday according to the "official" apfelwein thread. I shook the dextrose in the half empty gallon jugs and when all was said and done a lot settled to the bottom of the better bottle. In less than a week it had all been eaten though.

I'd be afraid of oxidation from shaking, but if you had a way to stir it without any extra O2 getting in there, I doubt it would hurt. My theory on the sugars dissipating is from my small bit of gastronomy experience (2lbs of dextrose in 5 gallons of apple juice would be above room temperature dissolving ratios, but as that sugar is converted to alcohol you'll have more capacity for the rest to disolve), but I don't know how having the "raw" sugars at the bottom might effect the yeasts health (mine seem healthy though).

Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
Brewho
Recipes 

so how long do you guys think i should let it ferment and sit. should i bottle right after it stops bubbling, should i wait a week. Should i carbonate some of it? any thoughts ideas?

Old 11-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
Brewho
Recipes 

oh and im turning at least half of it into apple jack hopefully. so i wont bother bottling or carbonating that. any tips on that process?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
goaler29
Recipes 

Default Aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewho View Post
oh and im turning at least half of it into apple jack hopefully. so i wont bother bottling or carbonating that. any tips on that process?
Im going to do this as well. The alaskan bootleggers bible says 8lb apples, 1 gal apple juice, 4lb sugar (cane or brown) 1 gal water, and 1 packet champagne yeast.... im going the easy route. 1 gallon water, 1gallon cider(no preservatives) and 4lb brown sugar. Im going to boil my water, turn off the heat, add the brown sugar, cool to about 80degF transfer that to my 3gal carboy with my cider. Ferment, rack till its clear and then put it in juggs in my freezer. What you want to do is freeze it, separate the solids and refreeze, separate the solids, and then refreeze. keep doing this till it no longer freezes.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

be careful of fusel concentrations. The manner you describe making the high octane hooch will lead to high concentrations of fusel alc and also... lead to blindness. This is why this method isn't used anymore. You can't separate out the good from the bad, so you get concentrated bad with your concentrated good. I wouldn't recc this, or drink much of it.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply