apple scratter !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutch701

Reaction score
Hi all,
novice cider maker here , got a few gallon on the go at the moment, but to make life easier i have made a scratter but i have used zinc plated screws, will these be ok to use until i get old of some stainless replacments.
And would the zinc plated screws have any affect on the juice i produce at the moment for making the cider.

eager ears await your replies ,

Shane

There generally isn't a whole lot of acetic acid in apples -- unless they are really vinegary....

Most of the acid is Malic acid...

But... I might not use galvanized stuff if I could get something else since it is usually pretty easy to knock off that galvanized layer on nails (Sometimes, they aren't careful about degreasing them before they go to plating...)

Thanks

John

This is the same reason why the inside of canned goods need to be coated with a special polymer. The zinc from the weld in the cans is able to leach out into the food if there is any acidic content (such as tomatoes, etc.). I WOULD NOT advise using the zinc if you readily have a replacement.

thanks for the replies guys , taken the advice on board and changed the screws , i had done one 5 gallon batch, and i dont think its going to get going if it is, it is realy slow
thanks again shane

Back