Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > apple pumpkin cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I know Woodchuck released a pumpkin cider this past year. It was not good at all and tasted pretty stale. Anyone else try it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
governorkc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous
I know Woodchuck released a pumpkin cider this past year. It was not good at all and tasted pretty stale. Anyone else try it?
Yeah that stuff was gross. I'm looking for something more apple/pumpkin pie like. Almost creamy rather than dry and crisp.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
capaneus
Recipes 

Thread necromancy: Just wanted to add that I'm trying a pumpkin/cider batch now too.

5 gal Apple Cider (uv past, but no sulfates)
Wild Yeast

Adjuncts:
2 Cups of Wild Sumac juice (for the tannins)
1lb thompson raisins
1.5lb roasted buttercup squash (very sweet and pumpkin'y)
Cinnamon & Cloves

I'm debating on whether to also ferment with a champagne yeast and add lactose. The caramely milk sugar taste might bring out more of a pumpkin pie flavor but I'm concerned the champagne yeast will remove most of the apple and pumpkin flavors and thin the mouthfeel out too much. Can you think of any other yeast that might be up to the job?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
ComcastWineRookie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Wow, it must be that this season brings out the Pumpkin in everyone as the hubby and I were discussing making a pumpkin/apple wine! I was thinking that the little squash called "Sweet Dumpling" would be good too along with a pie pumpkin- But I was thinking more along the lines of making the "must" (total of about 3 1/2 gallons)with the squash, pumpkin and cinnamon sticks, a couple of cloves, some honey (or brown sugar)and letting that ferment for about a week in a ferment bucket and then racking it off the pulps into the 5 gallon carboy, then filling the other 2 gallons worth with either apple juice or apple cider(If I can find one around here that isn't full of perservatives! ) and letting it finish up.
I do know that you have to add Pectic acid(?) to help with the clearing, but does anyone know whether or not to cook the pumpkin/squash to bring out the sugar? Maybe even oven roasting it to bring up the caramelized flavor? or should it just be done with the raw grated pumpkin/squash?
And instead of adding yeast nutrient, maybe adding a nice box of raisins?
So many questions for a newb to brewing.
This sounds absolutely delicious, did ya end up doing it?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #15
zski
Recipes 

i saw that Woodchuck is making a pumpkin apple cider - personally i don't think they go together - have you ever seen a pumpkin apple pie combo?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
governorkc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zski View Post
i saw that Woodchuck is making a pumpkin apple cider - personally i don't think they go together - have you ever seen a pumpkin apple pie combo?
that woodchuck is gross. couldnt drink more than a few sips

Old 10-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
Ickythekid
Recipes 

I'm speaking from my research and not experience, but from what I've heard when you're fermenting something like cider that can ferment out so quick, adding spices and other fruits during the primary fermentation can result in off flavors. A quote from Makinghardcider.com;

Do not think that adding spices is a good idea! Trust me, adding some nice apple-pie spices for a note of nutmeg or cinnamon at this stage is a BAD idea. (Again note the voice of experience) Any time I try to sneak any flavor in at this stage of primary fermentation, I end up with cider that tastes distinctly of gym socks. BLECH! My guess is that adventurous yeast eats, and alters, the spices too, along with the sugar. If you want some extra flavors, add them after fermentation is complete and the yeast have stopped eating and altering.

Now, having quoted that. I'm 1 month in my very first hard cider and I added 1 tsp fresh ground cinnamon and I thieved a sip out this past Sunday and it was AWESOME. Maybe 3-4 years from now I'll be able to speak on this from experience.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #18
nwaite
Recipes 

I would like to know also. I was going to start something like that in a week or two .....

Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #19
funkapottomous
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I know woodchuck has a special reserve of pumpkin cider and it is freaking delicious, hope yours turns out great!

I must be the only one who likes it. Should I put my address up?

Reason: silly tastebuds

Old 10-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
Himself
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickythekid View Post
If you want some extra flavors, add them after fermentation is complete and the yeast have stopped eating and altering.
I have been making hard cider for a couple years now, and started experimenting with spiced cider for fall/winter that first year. What I've done is to add a small muslin bag of whole mulling spices and dried sweet orange peel into the secondary. At first, I was leaving my cider in primary for about a month, racking into the secondary where it remained with the spices for another month, and then bottling. The results were pretty good. The spices came out in the finished product pretty nicely, if a little weak. So what I'm experimenting with now is crushing up the whole spices more, the amount of spices used, and shortening the overall fermenting time.

My base recipe is either cider or juice, and (for the holiday cider) 1/2 cup per gallon brown sugar for the slight molasses influence. A pinch of high alcohol yeast nutrient and yeast. For yeast, I'm still playing around with different ones. Those I've used most were: Wyeast sweet mead, Wyeast cider, Safale 5, Lalvin 17b 1122. The Lalvin had been recommended to me as bringing out more of the apple flavor, but I like the speed that the Safale gets the job done with (being a somewhat impatient person). I haven't noticed strong taste differences in these. But admittedly, I haven't been doing side by side comparisons. They all taste pretty good to me. O.g. is usually in the 1.060 range, and the finished product is usually just over 8% ABV and bottle conditioned to around 2.5 volumes.

I have noticed that if the cider sits for a year or two, the spice flavor diminishes. So it's been best in that first year.

I by no means consider myself an expert. This is just what I've been playing around with now and then over the last few years. I hope someone finds my experience helpful and can add to it. Like everyone else, I'm always looking to improve my results.

Quick Reply