*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apple-Pear Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
XtremeBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Apple-Pear Cider

This is my first Cider attempt, and I wanted to try and get something close to the taste of an Ace Pear Cider. So far, its 12 days into fermentation and I'm getting almost no activity in the airlock. I'm going to leave it in the Primary until tomorrow and then rack it to Secondary for about a week to let it clear out a little. I used Gerber Pear Juice because its the only 100% Pear Juice product I could find.

3g of Tree Top Apple Cider
1g of Tree Top Apple Juice
1.5g of Gerber Pear Juice
2lbs of Light Brown Sugar
1 WLP775 Cider Yeast
1 T Yeast Energizer
3 T Yeast Nutrient

O.G. 1.080
F.G. .999

I basically used the EWAW recipe guidelines to mix my sugar into my juice, save that I heated a 1/2 gallon of Cider and dissolved the sugar into it first, then added it to the Primary. You will get a nice krauzen and very good activity off of this yeast. I have several variations of this recipe depending on how this one turns out to taste once I back sweeten it.

Last edited by XtremeBrew; 03-29-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
XtremeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oops! I had a brainfart there guys. I'm gonna Secondary it for 3 weeks not 1!

Old 03-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
XtremeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This turned out very good once I back sweetened it with 2 cans of Apple Juice Concentrate and 1/2lb of Brown Sugar, and kegged it, and cold crashed it for about a month. I purged the CO2 every few days to keep the sulphur smell from overpowering the cider. I will definately be brewing this one again. We killed a keg of this and EWAW in a week!

Last edited by XtremeBrew; 03-29-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

a few thoughts...

You don't need cider yeast to do cider. Wine yeast works well, and it is easier to get your hands on.

I'm assuming you added sugar at the beginning to raise the finished alcohol level. Sometimes having a high alcohol content decreases the apple flavor. Granted, wine doesn't taste like grapes...

How can you cold crash after it is kegged? I mean, cold crash is racking, chilling it, and racking again. Did you mean you just kept it cold once kegged?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Mcduff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use WL cider yeast all the time. I cold crash and place it back into the carboy and let it sit out at room temp for at least two to three weeks and the sulphur smell will disipate. Wyeast cider yeast is pretty good as well. I have never noticed a sulpher smell for that one.

Fermenting
Primary - none

Conditioning
none

On Tap
Keg1- EdWort's Apfelwein, Keg2- Blackberry Cider, Keg3- soda water, Keg4- Diet Coke, Keg5- Coke Zero

Old 03-31-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
XtremeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah I know I don' have to use Cider yeast. I wanted to try the WL yeast and see how much of a flavor difference it would have versus using the Montrachet or EC-1118, or D-47 that most people use. Wine yeasts are good for jacking up the abv, but I don't like a super dry Cider. As for the crashing, yeah I crashed it in Secondary and then kegged it and let it sit for a few days before putting it back in the fridge. I was about 6 pints into my Blackberry Cider when I wrote that one so sorry.

All of my Ciders at this point are experimental for me as I just started making Cider's. So far I've used D-47, EC-1118, Montrachet, and the WLP775. On deck is WLP Hefeweizen Yeast, and some good ole Notty.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 560 Posts
Likes Given: 2162

Out of curiosity, could you taste any pear at all? Regards, GF.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Usually with ciders, I ferment it to the gravity I want, cold crash it in the primary, then (carefully) rack to secondary and let it sit and degas. Even at rather high room temperatures I rarely ever see new fermentation. If I do, I cold crash again and rack again. This is using ale yeast.
Wine and champagne yeast may need a little more encouragement to die or just chill out and stop fermenting.
Having said that, I'm very paranoid and very careful about making certain it's done and avoiding bottle grenades at all costs.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
XtremeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's why I'm kegging all my ciders. The few that I bottle to age, I leave in the fridge for the entire time they're bottled. I've found that chilling and degassing my keg every couple of days really helps eliminate the sulphur odors that build up too.

As for the Pear being evident in taste, just barely. I'm going to change my Pear/Apple juice ratio on future batches until I've refined it. The Gerber Pear juice is expensive at around $4 a quart, which was my main reason for using a small amount to start with. I know that most Perry's I've had are a blend of Pear and Apple juice, its just a matter of getting the blend right. It was a very good tasting cider as it stands though

Old 03-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

To me Ace is dry and has a taste you get when you eat a pear with the skin. You might try slicing up some pears leaving the skin on. Then mash them in the brew bucket with a sanitized potato masher. I like the taste of Ace also and plan on making a batch of perry this summer when the local pears crop comes in. Right now I would have to spend way too much on pears to make it worth while. Also have you tried tasting that gerber pear juice? My one year old likes it so I sampled it one day and found it tasted more like apple concentrate than pear.

Quick Reply