Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > apple juice vs apple cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
jimbobminogue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default apple juice vs apple cider?

I am very new to brewing and would like to try my first hard holiday cider. I have a receipe that i am interested in using. It calls for apple juice, nutmeg and cinnamon. Ive seen a fee different recipes but most call for apple juice and not cider. I guess what im asking is what is the difference in the end result. I know apple juice is cheaper but is tge final result cheaper tasting as well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
agent44
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I dunno I guess it depends on the quality and blend of the apples in the cider. The cider i bought at Walmart made horrible hard cider but I think it's because it's sold to drink not to ferment and made with sweeter apples, I had better results with just store bought juice, I've just juiced five and a half gallons of cider from tarter apples so I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There is a difference. Juice has been filtered (and possibly concentrated, then re-hydrated) to make the crystal clear beverage we think of as apple juice. Cider still contains some of the skins/pulp and usually is much fresher. IMO cider has a better more genuine apple flavor, however many folks make good beverages just from juice. Check out the Edworts Apfelwine thread for a proven juice recepie. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
jimbobminogue
Recipes 

Perfect. Thanks! I'll probably try it with just apple juice then but let me know how the tart cider works out if you get a chance.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS