Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apple Jack Problem

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
bluesfndr9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26
Default Apple Jack Problem

A freind,cough, tried freezing his cider gone bad to make apple jack. He thought that just the water would freeze and there would be a layer of alcohol uder the icey top. The entire cotainer froze entirely there was no liquid left. What could the problem have been? Was the freezer set too cold? Has this ever happened to anyone? My "friend" would really appreciate your help thanks!

__________________
bluesfndr9 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Adolphus79
EAC in training
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 530
Default

did you... er, yer friend... freeze sweet (unfermented) cider, or hard cider? If it was sweet cider that had just barely started to ferment, then there wasn't enough alcohol. Tell your friend to try using fully fermented hard cider next time...

__________________

Cheers,
Mike

"Give me yesterday's bread, this day's flesh, and last year's cyder." - Benjamin Franklin

Adolphus79 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
WOP31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WOP31's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,332
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default

tell your friend, also to freeze, to the point of a slushy and then take it out and shake it up then re freeze then shake and thaw and Freeze, see where I am goin with this, for about a week or two then let the water freeze solid. In the olden days they would bury jack in the ground and let it sit all winter and during the last freze of the year would dig it up. basically it need the Freeze/thaw/Freeze in order to help separate. good luck

Cheers

__________________
"Yes, I am a pirate two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder there's nothin' to plunder,
I'm an [under] forty victim of fate, Arriving too late, arriving too late."
-Jimmy Buffet
WOP31 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
bluesfndr9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfndr9
A freind,cough, tried freezing his cider gone bad to make apple jack. He thought that just the water would freeze and there would be a layer of alcohol uder the icey top. The entire cotainer froze entirely there was no liquid left. What could the problem have been? Was the freezer set too cold? Has this ever happened to anyone? My "friend" would really appreciate your help thanks!
the cider as fully fermented fermenter and sat for a month but you make a good point
__________________
bluesfndr9 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
beerdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 143
Default

Hmmm maybe my friend will try this. How much alcohol can you expect to get and how strong will it be? My friend is making some cider should be around 7-8% ABV.

__________________

Primary #1 Panty Dropper Cider
Primary #2 Honey Brown Ale
Primary #3 Scottish Ale
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #2 Panty Dropper Cider
Secondary #3 Empty
Secondary #4 Empty
Bottled European Ale, Corona Clone, Raspberry White Zinfandel, Old English 800 Clone
Drinking Double IPA
More Double IPA it was great!

beerdad is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
Adolphus79
EAC in training
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 530
Default

beerdad, it depends on what your friend starts with, and how much of the water he reclaims, but you can assume around 30 or 40%...

__________________

Cheers,
Mike

"Give me yesterday's bread, this day's flesh, and last year's cyder." - Benjamin Franklin

Adolphus79 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2007, 04:41 AM   #7
bluesfndr9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wop31
tell your friend, also to freeze, to the point of a slushy and then take it out and shake it up then re freeze then shake and thaw and Freeze, see where I am goin with this, for about a week or two then let the water freeze solid. In the olden days they would bury jack in the ground and let it sit all winter and during the last freze of the year would dig it up. basically it need the Freeze/thaw/Freeze in order to help separate. good luck

Cheers

it seems like shaking would just mix it all back up i understand how the freezing and thawing would work but wouldn't shaking it undo everything?
__________________
bluesfndr9 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
gyrfalcon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 156
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfndr9
A freind,cough, tried freezing his cider gone bad to make apple jack. He thought that just the water would freeze and there would be a layer of alcohol uder the icey top. The entire cotainer froze entirely there was no liquid left. What could the problem have been? Was the freezer set too cold? Has this ever happened to anyone? My "friend" would really appreciate your help thanks!

Might also want to tell your "friend" that what he's doing is highly illegal if he lives in the U.S.A. or most any other country...

http://www.chow.com/stories/10475

YOU'RE ALSO 19 SO YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE...
__________________
On Deck:
Primary A: Fuggles I.P.A. Primary B: Jonathan & Heidi Mead
Primary C: Pina Melomel Primary D: EdWort's Apfelwein Mod.
Primary E: Effel 07 (Blue Wine) Bottling: BrewFrick Panty Dropper Mod. (Clover Hoof)
Drinking: Schells Beer
Planning: Octane I.P.A.
gyrfalcon is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
newell456
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: East Lansing, Mi
Posts: 188
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrfalcon
Might also want to tell your "friend" that what he's doing is highly illegal if he lives in the U.S.A. or most any other country...

http://www.chow.com/stories/10475

YOU'RE ALSO 19 SO YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE...
Am I missing something? According to his profile, he's 26. Apple jacking is still illegal, but I don't see where you get that the poster is nineteen, but I've been drinking, so who knows.
__________________
newell456 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
talleymonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
talleymonster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,089
Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newell456
Am I missing something? According to his profile, he's 26. Apple jacking is still illegal, but I don't see where you get that the poster is nineteen, but I've been drinking, so who knows.
I kinda wondered that myeslf.
__________________

talleymonster is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Juice, Apple Pulp, and Cyser digdan Mead Forum 1 04-18-2009 01:12 AM
Apple Jack chips7297 Cider Forum 50 12-31-2008 10:19 AM
Eisbock vs Apple Jack... Distillation? MVKTR2 General Beer Discussion 5 03-29-2008 01:28 AM
Acetaldehyde Problem (Green Apple) caskconditioned All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 02-12-2008 01:02 PM
apple jack Monster-Masher Cider Forum 9 02-02-2008 11:31 PM