Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apple Jack Problem

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
bluesfndr9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apple Jack Problem

A freind,cough, tried freezing his cider gone bad to make apple jack. He thought that just the water would freeze and there would be a layer of alcohol uder the icey top. The entire cotainer froze entirely there was no liquid left. What could the problem have been? Was the freezer set too cold? Has this ever happened to anyone? My "friend" would really appreciate your help thanks!

Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Adolphus79
EAC in training
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

did you... er, yer friend... freeze sweet (unfermented) cider, or hard cider? If it was sweet cider that had just barely started to ferment, then there wasn't enough alcohol. Tell your friend to try using fully fermented hard cider next time...

Cheers,
Mike

"Give me yesterday's bread, this day's flesh, and last year's cyder." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-20-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

tell your friend, also to freeze, to the point of a slushy and then take it out and shake it up then re freeze then shake and thaw and Freeze, see where I am goin with this, for about a week or two then let the water freeze solid. In the olden days they would bury jack in the ground and let it sit all winter and during the last freze of the year would dig it up. basically it need the Freeze/thaw/Freeze in order to help separate. good luck

Cheers

Old 09-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
bluesfndr9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfndr9
A freind,cough, tried freezing his cider gone bad to make apple jack. He thought that just the water would freeze and there would be a layer of alcohol uder the icey top. The entire cotainer froze entirely there was no liquid left. What could the problem have been? Was the freezer set too cold? Has this ever happened to anyone? My "friend" would really appreciate your help thanks!
the cider as fully fermented fermenter and sat for a month but you make a good point

Old 09-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
beerdad
Recipes 

Hmmm maybe my friend will try this. How much alcohol can you expect to get and how strong will it be? My friend is making some cider should be around 7-8% ABV.

Primary #1 Panty Dropper Cider
Primary #2 Honey Brown Ale
Primary #3 Scottish Ale
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #2 Panty Dropper Cider
Secondary #3 Empty
Secondary #4 Empty
Bottled European Ale, Corona Clone, Raspberry White Zinfandel, Old English 800 Clone
Drinking Double IPA
More Double IPA it was great!

Old 09-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
Adolphus79
EAC in training
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

beerdad, it depends on what your friend starts with, and how much of the water he reclaims, but you can assume around 30 or 40%...

Cheers,
Mike

"Give me yesterday's bread, this day's flesh, and last year's cyder." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-22-2007, 04:41 AM   #7
bluesfndr9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wop31
tell your friend, also to freeze, to the point of a slushy and then take it out and shake it up then re freeze then shake and thaw and Freeze, see where I am goin with this, for about a week or two then let the water freeze solid. In the olden days they would bury jack in the ground and let it sit all winter and during the last freze of the year would dig it up. basically it need the Freeze/thaw/Freeze in order to help separate. good luck

Cheers

it seems like shaking would just mix it all back up i understand how the freezing and thawing would work but wouldn't shaking it undo everything?

Old 09-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
gyrfalcon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfndr9

Might also want to tell your "friend" that what he's doing is highly illegal if he lives in the U.S.A. or most any other country...

http://www.chow.com/stories/10475

YOU'RE ALSO 19 SO YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE...
Primary E: Effel 07 (Blue Wine) Bottling: BrewFrick Panty Dropper Mod. (Clover Hoof)
Drinking: Schells Beer
Planning: Octane I.P.A.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
newell456
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrfalcon
Might also want to tell your "friend" that what he's doing is highly illegal if he lives in the U.S.A. or most any other country...

http://www.chow.com/stories/10475

YOU'RE ALSO 19 SO YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE...
Am I missing something? According to his profile, he's 26. Apple jacking is still illegal, but I don't see where you get that the poster is nineteen, but I've been drinking, so who knows.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newell456
Am I missing something? According to his profile, he's 26. Apple jacking is still illegal, but I don't see where you get that the poster is nineteen, but I've been drinking, so who knows.
I kinda wondered that myeslf.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply