LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #21
landhoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trean72
I read about water distillers. Can't you just use one of those? Freezing sounds a little too complicated. I'd much rather pour some hard cider in a water distiller and have apple jack instantly. Don't know if that's actually possible though.
I'm sorry but this made me laugh. What's complicated about freezing, and then slowly thawing? I think even the simplest still would be harder to put together than that. Maybe you're being sarcastic. I guess freezing is slower though. In theory I've freeze distilled wine and also theorizing was not so pleased with the results.
Also, Eisbock is made by semi-freezing beer to up the alcohol. Lastly, you can "freeze distill" juice legally to up the sugar, in say apple juice, and then ferment with a high-alcohol tolerant yeast. I made apple wine this way that was wonderful at ~18% alcohol - and legal - and no sugar added, but you need alot of volume.

Last edited by landhoney; 06-09-2007 at 05:51 AM.

Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2007, 06:12 AM   #22
pfranco81
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
got a quick sort of off topic but in the same line topic kinda question . . .

Lets say you made a BIG beer, lets say 13% and it's unhoped . . . .

Now lets say you freeze that beer and suck off the liquid like you were making applejack . . . .

Anyone see where I am going here?
I think it's called Bud Ice and it's gross.
Nothing.
Drinking : Apfelwein, and a Honey Wheat.

Medic: Young man, you've ingested a dangerous amount of alcohol!
Homer: The only dangerous amount is none!

Old 06-09-2007, 06:23 AM   #23
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob
or coming to the door selling tickets to the Police and Fire Association Dance/Fair/Dinner/whatever.
O come on we all know they just call ya on the phone while your eating dinner to beg for $$$..LOL
JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 06-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #24
MashStirBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinOneEye
Shtupid law. Just like not being allowed to fire a gun off during a moment of passion with your lady in Wisconsin.

That's Funny!!! Iowa has that same law. Darn Government!!! Always taking the fun out of everything.... LOL

Old 06-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #25
Trean72
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
What's complicated about freezing, and then slowly thawing?
Is that really all there is to it? could I just throw a gallon of cider in the freezer and pour out the alcohol? I don't think that will work. Slowly thawing it sounds okay, but at what point am I pouring apple jack and what point am I just pouring thawed cider?

Old 06-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #26
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfalco
...moonshine is moonshine, no matter how you make it...
But, isn't moonshine made by the light of the moon?

What would you call it if you made it in your freezer? Freezer Burn? Icy and Nicy?
People Like This 
Old 06-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #27
pfranco81
Recipes 

Quote:
Is that really all there is to it? could I just throw a gallon of cider in the freezer and pour out the alcohol? I don't think that will work. Slowly thawing it sounds okay, but at what point am I pouring apple jack and what point am I just pouring thawed cider?
The idea of putting your cider in the freezer is that the water will freeze and the alcohol (which has a lower freezing point) will stay liquid. Once all the water freezes you'd be able to pour off the alcohol. You probably wouldn't be able to freeze it into a brick, but more likely a a big slushy, filtering out the ice.
Nothing.
Drinking : Apfelwein, and a Honey Wheat.

Medic: Young man, you've ingested a dangerous amount of alcohol!
Homer: The only dangerous amount is none!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #28
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

the first thing I ever brewed was a sh itty cider....man was it bad! probubly the bread yeast i used though...(hey I was 19!)

I froze it down a gallon at a time and now I've got 1 liter bottle of it left (probubly could have yeilded more but I left a lot of "jack" in with the ice bc I didn't care that much and it was just an experiment...plus I spilled some)

Anyway, it's still in the freezer and it's not THAT bad but it's still pretty bad. No idea on the ABV but it won't freeze... A month or so ago a friend and I got blasted and took some shots of it. It was kind of syrupy and didn't have that much of an alchoholic burn.

anyway thats my experience with it. I would like to make a better batch at some point bc it's an interesting idea.

I'd also really like to try landhoney's "apple ice wine" some time...thats a really good idea..

Old 06-15-2007, 12:32 AM   #29
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Just taste it as it melts. If its ~7% alcohol cider it should freeze fairly solid, but you may see liquid moving around inside ice 'pockets'. In theory, the first 7% melted off would be all the alcohol, but that doesn't really work that way. I'd say melt off a 1/3rd and you've got all the alcohol you'll get but I don't really know. I've only "theorized" about doing this once, freeze distilled wine - collected the runnings and then repeat until it doesn't freeze anymore - when it doesn't freeze at all I think you'd have some high alcohol. But I like freeze concentrating the unfermented juice, getting the sugar and flavor up and then fermenting with wine yeast. Not as high alcohol but I don't want 80 proof stuff. Its legal, and besides it tastes better.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:43 AM   #30
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The traditional way to make it is to partially bury a keg of cider in october and unearth it in late February/early March. Just freezing the cider tends to make a cider slushy, you can still pour off liquid but you lose a lot in the ice. Repeated freezing and thawing the liquid causes it to separate. Eventually you get a hunk of solid ice at top, liquor goodness in the middle, solids/heavier liquids at the bottom. At this point you can chip out the ice and pour off the middle layer, or drill a hole through the ice and siphon out the liquor. It tends to run 50% alcohol, though I imagine that number varies wildly.
Be very aware, all fermentation produces methanol to some degree. While this concentration of methanol would never blind or kill you, it will produce some of the nastiest hangovers imaginable.

I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze.

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply