Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apple & Feijoa/Pineapple Guava

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #11
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 10

DONE! Finally put it down this morning.

22 degrees C so will keep an eye on it fo 2 weeks then transfer into secondary with the feijoa flesh!

i warmed 2L oif feijoa with 5 litres of apple juice, dissolved the sugar in that, i only made it luke warm and i used 600grams of dextrose in this, but added another 700grams to get the Og further up.

Next Update 2 weeks

OG Was 1.058

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #12
crusader1612
Recipes 

Ok, so I just thought I'd check it, and it still is bubbling away very nicely, its in the spare room, which now smells like apples and yeast, but when smelt closely its like pure fresh apples. LOVE IT!

almost a week into it, looks like primary may have to extenc if this continues the way it looks like it will, maybe another week? then it'll be into secondary with my freshly thawed fruit! for a minimum of probably a month.

Quick Question to those still paying attention... in secondary, its not really fermenting, so opening the carboy will not cause too many issues if i take a sample after a month to make sure it doesnt go too tart? woith thetype of fruit im using...

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 06-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #13
cyberlord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If I interpret your question correctly, opening the carboy during an active ferment is better than opening once the ferment stops. The active ferment off-gasses co2 which helps protect the liquid.

But still tasting once in a while is not a problem. Using k-meta will help then as it off-gasses so2. Of course make sure the sampling tool is sanitized.

I used to have a six-pack, but now I have a keg.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #14
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlord View Post
If I interpret your question correctly, opening the carboy during an active ferment is better than opening once the ferment stops. The active ferment off-gasses co2 which helps protect the liquid.

But still tasting once in a while is not a problem. Using k-meta will help then as it off-gasses so2. Of course make sure the sampling tool is sanitized.
Yeah I figured as much, I just wanted to be sure.
Man it Smells Amazing, I smelled the airlock, it smells like warm Apple Pie... lol.
Will take a sample in another week see what it looks like and the gravity too, then another a couple of days later to see what fermentation is doing (it's ok the primary has a tap on it) but I think It'll be looking at 3 weeks in Primary.

Cheers for your help so far, and I'll post a pic once its in the secondary/carboy.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #15
crusader1612
Recipes 

Well, I'm just over 2 weeks in, and the weather is warming up a tiny bit., I walked into the spare room to find my brew at 26 degrees, which is a shame, because its been so steady at 22 Deg C, I'm thinking I'll take it off the heat pasd tonight if the temperature is up again, let it sit, and rack into secondary over the weekend.

BTW: Theres alot of crap at the bottom of the bucket, which I'm assuming means its starting to clear up, which I only want a little of this time around

Old 07-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #16
crusader1612
Recipes 

Transferred over to Secondary on the weekend, Gravity is at 1.000, which is pretty good, one question, if anyone is still reading this, it has a wine like harsh taste, is this normal, given its my first cider i just want to make sure therers nothing wrong with it. lol

Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
crusader1612
Recipes 

(I'm going to pretend people are still reading this, lol).
Gave it a taste test last night, and basically it tastes good, theres a slight feijoa taste to it, and it clearing a little bit, but the flesh isn't floating, some of it is, but still, I think i'm going to rack again then age for probably a month and bottle.

P.S: It's pretty potent.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
k-trips
Recipes 

I'm still reading budd.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #19
crusader1612
Recipes 

Haha, cheers buddy.
Transferredto teritiary for aging

Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
dariussadeli
Recipes 

so whats the result for this cider? any good?

Quick Reply