Apple Concentrate Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyjim

Reaction score
If this has been posted before just send the link, however I am ready to bottle about 2.5G of cider and want to use Apple Concentrate to bottle carb them. Has anybody done this? Also, is it the same ratio to say regular priming sugars? Thanks.

Mathematical you use 13 FL oz of Treetop concentrate to 5 gallons. So you need 6.5 FL oz for 2.5 gallons. It is not the same as 5 oz per 5 gallons.

I've used straight juice to prime. The juice I use has 28 g (~1 oz) of sugars per cup. I use 1 cup of juice per gallon, then add another ~half cup to make up for the extra volume I add. With concentrate, do the same thing. Calculate how many grams of sugar is in it, then add enough for ~28 grams of sugar per gallon cider.

Do you just add concentrate to the bottom of the bottling bucket, or do you add half to the bottom, and half once half of the cider is in the bucket?

I used a 10mL syringe and squirteded 4mL of FAJC into each 12-oz bottle, hoping for 3.0+ vols. of CO².

no reason not to add it all at once on the bottom of your bucket and siphon on top of it, you'll probably wanna dilute it a tad so it mixes better, may need to gently stir depending on how thick it is.

I use one can per 5 gallons. Only have problems if I try to add more by hand without calculating.

Let the FAJC thaw and you can measure and stir it in easily.

I've found that different brands of concentrate have different amounts of sugar. So I do it by gravity. Add enough to bring the SG up 5 points and it's safe.

The brand I've been using I add 55 ml per gallon wen priming and just rack onto it in the bottling bucket making sure it swirls nicely. That usually gives me about 2.5 ish volumes

Back