Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apple Cider tastes like BANANAS? [What went wrong!?]

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #11
maztec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

For what it is worth, the overall average temperature was 66F.

Wish I had been aware of S-04 needing to stay sub-68F beforehand.... I had been mislead by the packaging which recommended keeping it in the 68-74F range. Bummer.

I've decided to rack it and keep it cool for the next three months. Testing it monthly. See if the banana wears off or not. If it isn't gone by end of February, or isn't down enough, I will do a second batch of cider and then blend them.

Thanks for the input!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4624 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 907

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztec View Post
For what it is worth, the overall average temperature was 66F.
Well, the average temp doesn't matter. What matters is the actual fermentation temperature, unfortunately. Keep in mind that fermentation is "cleaner" at the bottom of the yeast strain's optimal fermentation temperature, even if you're in the yeast manufacturer's safe zone. That yeast is known for its estery profile, and is a good choice for English beers as a result. It's not really known to be a "clean" yeast, even if you're in the temperature range recommended by the manufacturer. If you want a "clean" yeast, you'd want S05.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 AM   #13
maztec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I was hoping for a bit fruitier flavor ... which is why I followed the advice of this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/resu...riments-83060/

Too bad I hadn't seen anywhere else in my research on that yeast that it goes bananas within its safe zone.

And the average temperature was the predominant fermentation temperature. I did pull the mean temperature from my software, which was 67F. It only went above 70F twice, in the last week, and both times for less than an hour. -- I have my temperature meter set to record temps every 30 minutes and any time it detects a major change.

I'm not arguing against that not being the cause, it just seems short for it being the cause. Guess that isn't my experience with beer -- then again, I've mostly done wheat beers where that flavor profile is sometimes a desired trait.

Quick Reply