Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apple Cider Racked Onto yeastcake (WLP320)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
alegrador
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apple Cider Racked Onto yeastcake (WLP320)

So, I'm a relative newb to this whole brewing thing and I have a whopping half dozen partial mash/extract beers to my name and i've gotta admit, i'm ridiculously addicted and looking to experiment!

Last night I racked a honey wheat over to one of my secondaries, but instead of dumping out all that perfectly good yeast (wlp320) from the primary I decided I wanted to either "wash" it (i've never done it before) or try dumping some perfectly good apple cider on top of it (I've never made cider before either)....
30 Minutes and 35 bucks worth of beautiful apple cider goodness later, i'm home pouring it all into a bucket. Did I read somewhere that white labs 320 yeast was the perfect yeast for hard cider? nope.... Apparently everyone used wine or champagne yeast.

Maybe I should be picked up by a short yellow bus for work every morning, but what do you guys think about trying to make hard cider with an American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast?

PS- 24 hours later it's chugging right along with an airlock making that bubbly sound we all love. something must be working...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
JtotheA
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You have the right idea! Economical, variety and just plain smart! I typically will rack off the cake/lees once and add more right on top. At most, the cake is only 2-3 weeks old before I rack. And as far as the Hefe yeast, I had good results. It's one of many ale yeasts I've had success with brewing cider. Good call doing what you did! I'm sorry if you get addicted

Old 03-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
alegrador
Recipes 

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I didn't even think about about the economical aspect of reusing yeast when I made the cider. I guess at 3-6 bucks per vial it adds up over time! definitely gonna experiment more often.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Snisup
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only thing with that yeast is that you will have cloudy cider. Not a big deal if you don't mind it.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The only other thing I could think of would be to avoid reusing yeast from a high gravity beer. If you brewed an imperial stout that finished at 10% abv...I'd say it's better to start fresh. Otherwise its a great money-saving technique.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
alegrador
Recipes 

As for cloudy cider, can't I as some pectin to clear that up? I made no energizer, nutrient or pectin additions... Only additions were lime juice and chai tea.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It's a wheat strain right? I think it might just be cloudy. There's probably still residual cloudy funk from the heffy beer. Cloudy doesn't mean bad. The heffy was good right?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
alegrador
Recipes 

Just racked the hefe to a keg( from secondary, Only left it a few days) today to stop fermentation (og 1048 fg 1007 @ about 5.3 abv) tasted a small sample and it was pretty good! Cold crashing in a corny now and ill force carb in a day or two. As for the cider I'm not really worried about how it looks right now. I'm more concerned about tadte.

As

Old 03-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
alegrador
Recipes 

Any thoughts on finishing this cider out with champagne yeast? Besides drying it out will it impart any other flavors that the hefe yeast doesn't?

Old 03-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Snisup
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegrador View Post
Any thoughts on finishing this cider out with champagne yeast? Besides drying it out will it impart any other flavors that the hefe yeast doesn't?
If you already stopped fermentation with the wlp320, why would you want to start it up again? Champagne yeast will bring it down to under 1.000. If you like it the way it is just leave it.

Quick Reply