Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apple cherry cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
joentuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apple cherry cider?

Ok I fermented (5) 5 gallon batches of unpasturized apple juice from a local orchard. I'm racking it now and it taste great, my question is I was planning on racking one batch onto some frozen cherrys (I'm going to thaw first). Should I use frozen cherrys or cherry concentrate? Oh by the way I'm thinking 8lbs or frozen cherrys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 637 Posts
Likes Given: 2668

You can use either one, or even both if you want. My 1st choice would be to go with the fruit, but the concentrate would be a little easier to work with, it might even give you a flavour option you don't have with fruit. Around here, (MT) it's kind of hard to come by fresh pie cherries, but we have plenty of fresh, sweet cherries every year; so there are times when tart cherry concentrate would certainly be an attractive option for me. If you do end up using the fruit, you might want to add some pectic enzyme. Regards, GF.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Fruit always wins in my book. Although GF's point about tart vs sweet is a good one.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-29-2009, 04:46 AM   #4
bass-a-roo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i want to try this on a small scale with maraschino cherry juice to add a touch of sweetness. has that worked for anyone? other than that my LHBS sells a bottle of cherry flavoring for $5. . .

Old 10-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Look at the maraschino cherry ingredients. They often have high fructose corn sugar and preservatives. But these don't matter too much if your using it post fermentation. But it may inhibit finings.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
MartyB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass-a-roo View Post
i want to try this on a small scale with maraschino cherry juice to add a touch of sweetness. has that worked for anyone? other than that my LHBS sells a bottle of cherry flavoring for $5. . .
I'd avoid the cherry flavoring like the plague. Most of them are extremely medicinal. Think cherry cough syrup.

Whole fruit, or fruit puree is my vote.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
bass-a-roo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
Look at the maraschino cherry ingredients. They often have high fructose corn sugar and preservatives. But these don't matter too much if your using it post fermentation. But it may inhibit finings.
that's a good point, thanks. looks like they are made with k-meta so it would be okay for a still cider but would probably kill a carbonated one. Also looks like the main flavoring is almond extract. i guess i'll try a more natural approach

Old 10-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass-a-roo View Post
If you check in most of the big stores around the pharmacy area, they carry, real black cherry concentrate that folks use for their arthritis problems- The stuff that Wallyworld carries didn't have any preservatives last time I looked and is really Black Cherry concentrate.. Others carry blueberry juice concentrate for the same reasons and it is usually pure. I never use any thing called "Flavoring" if I can help it. Also you can usually find fresh juice in the fancy juice area by most produce areas, it will be right next to the POM brand pomegranate juice.
But since Michigan is a big Cherry/blueberry producing state, I hope that it is not just a local thing.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:05 AM   #9
truckjohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

This time of year, you might get lucky with some produce out of South America... but since most all Cherries are ripe sometime in the Summer... The ones you get in the store now have sat in cold storage for a while now...

Frozen probably has a much better probability of not tasting like watery Cardboard...

Good luck

John

Old 10-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 637 Posts
Likes Given: 2668

IF you decide to go with concentrate, you may find this to your liking: http://www.knudsenjuice.com/products...s/black_cherry Regards, GF.

Quick Reply