Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apple brandy question
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #21
StevenM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default separating etoh from frozen hard cider

I have'nt don't it yet but plan to. I saw a guy use a salad rinser to separate the two. It is a bowl with a colander insert that spins. The idea is to put in salad and rinse with water spinning the colander thus keeping the salad in the colander and forcing the water out of the colander into the bowl. You could put the slush into a paper towel and spin the colander forcing the fluid to the outside where the bowl will collect it.

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #22
rumbler
Recipes 

I made exactly what ur trying to do and it turned out awesome...I had an apple wine about 12-14 percent with a lot of remaining sugar and then froze it in a milk jug for about a week and every morning while getting ready for work and every night while eating dinner I would set it on the counter and let it partially thaw to help draw the alchohol to the top. Then I inverted it into a large gatorade bottle with a funnel till I had two of them full then discarded the milk jug. Refroze the gatorade bottles and repeated the process till I filled a 25 oz container with the final product...after a 4 month rest in the fridge I have friends begging for their own bottle. It was fun and its very smooth and good surprisingly...hope this helps

Every morning I wake up and piss excelence....its a shame though, most of it ends up on the floor.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #23
anteup
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

First time brewing cider with the intent of making apple jack. My thoughts were to freeze gallon, then flip container and place back in freezer with a wire strainer and a jug to collect the good stuff using gravity to do the work.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #24
garnede
Recipes 

To my knowledge distilling AND jacking are illegal in the US. Jacking leaves all of the fusel alcohols that are harmful in the liquor that can be mostly separated out by distilling.

Bottled: EdWort's Apfelwein, Mulberry multi-berry wine & seconds
Up next: Persimmon wine,

Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #25
lawpaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnede
To my knowledge distilling AND jacking are illegal in the US. Jacking leaves all of the fusel alcohols that are harmful in the liquor that can be mostly separated out by distilling.
I'm fairly certain jacking is legal in most of the US.

Jacking does leave the fusels, but they are equivalent to regular cider/beer/wine just in higher concentration. You'd have to really be drinking irresponsibly for it to be particularly harmful.

Drink the concentrated equivalent to beer and you're fine.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #26
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 377

moto's law:

"if you mention freeze concentration on HBT, someone will tell you it's illegal and tell you to stop talking about it."

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #27
lawpaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer
moto's law:

"if you mention freeze concentration on HBT, someone will tell you it's illegal and tell you to stop talking about it."
Lol, what I don't understand, after reading this thread, is everyone's ABV expectation. Pretty sure I don't want to be drinking straight ethanol.

40% looks like the upper limit most would want, so starting at a gallon you should get more than a bottle from 1 gallon.

Personally I go through a bottle of whiskey way slower than even 5 bottles of cider, so it seems worth the effort.

Makes me think the original responders were either trying to be difficult or have a big booze problem.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #28
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
moto's law:

Old 01-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #29
garnede
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawpaw View Post
I'm fairly certain jacking is legal in most of the US.

Jacking does leave the fusels, but they are equivalent to regular cider/beer/wine just in higher concentration. You'd have to really be drinking irresponsibly for it to be particularly harmful.

Drink the concentrated equivalent to beer and you're fine.
I have always been tolt it was not legal, If someone can point me to the law that makes it legal, then I'll join the party. But till then I'll buy my apple jack.
Bottled: EdWort's Apfelwein, Mulberry multi-berry wine & seconds
Up next: Persimmon wine,

Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #30
lawpaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnede

I have always been tolt it was not legal, If someone can point me to the law that makes it legal, then I'll join the party. But till then I'll buy my apple jack.
In free societies laws only limit freedom, they don't create freedom. I realize I sound like a huge D-bag saying that, but there isn't a better way to put it so bear with me.

Statutes that prohibit "distilling" are often defined to include only the use of heat and evaporation. Freeze distilling is a misnomer since it isn't technically distilling.

The reason they are illegal is the public health concerns surrounding evaporating ethanol around heat (fire) and possibly doing it wrong and concentrating fusels (public safety), neither of those concerns exist in a greater degree than homebrew in freeze "distilling".

Closed Thread

Quick Reply