Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apfelwein yeasts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Mista_Sparkle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Apfelwein yeasts?

Im about to bottle up a batch of apfelwein and I have another 5 gallons of apple juice ready to go for the next batch. I don't have any more dry Montrachet, but I do have the Montrachet yeast cake from the current batch. The apfelwein has been on it about 2 months at this point so I'm not sure if it would be good for another round. I do have a lot of WLP500, I also have some Nottingham and some Windsor.

So, do you think it would turn out well with any of these or do I really need to take a hike to the LHBS?

I'm thinking that the WLP500 fermented ≈70 would be pretty interesting, but I'm looking for second opinions

Thanks

Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
svengoat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've only used Montrachet for the few batches I've made and aside from the rhino farts I've never had a bad batch...I say stick with what got you there..

Old 02-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
Bush_84
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've read in multiple places that nottingham works well. Some of the stickied threads in this forum go through a few yeasts.

Primary- Raspberry Melomel - Raspberry Cider
Secondary-Welch Grape Wine - Mapfelwien
Bottled- Mott's Cider - Strawberry Mead - Hard Lemonade - The 84 Bushwacker (~11 abv cider) -Mixed Berry Cider - Graff
-The 84 Bushwacker v2.0

Old 02-14-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

notty makes awesome cider.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Quick Reply