Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apfelwein as a wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
xxdcmast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apfelwein as a wine

I currently have about 15 gallons of apfelwein fermenting right now. I have a friend who gave me 4 1 gallon wine jugs. I was thinking of bottling in these and not carbing them.

Has anyone tried apfelwein without carbination? Is it any good? I know these wine bottles arent meant for holding pressure but since im not carbing I should be ok right?

The other 10 gallons I will probably bottle as regular.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Apfelwein is great still. I prefer mine sparkling but who am I? When you bottle it in the gallon jugs, make sure you don't try to drink one by yourself.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_e5 View Post
Apfelwein is great still. I prefer mine sparkling but who am I? When you bottle it in the gallon jugs, make sure you don't try to drink one by yourself.
+1 to this...I usually carb half the batch and bottle the other half still...I too prefer the carbed, it's very champagne like..BUT the still is wonderful too...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have only done a couple of batches of apfelwein and have not carbed any of it. I could be wrong, but I believe that traditionally it is served still.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
jmiracle

Recipes 

Still is good, this might sound gauche but sometimes I mix still apfelwein with a little 7-up or club soda and it tastes great.

Bottled & carbing: Nothin
drinking: Poet on Payday Wee Heavy
gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Old 03-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #6
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

can someone describe apfelwien's flavor/body to me? what is the original and final gravity? it seems like the juice would ferment really dry. the recipe looks wierd but you guys all rave about it. as a meadmaker, the process seems strange but it has to be good if everyone seems to have it either bottled or in the carboy!! i guess i gotta brew it!

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Last edited by blackwaterbrewer; 03-16-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwaterbrewer View Post
can someone describe apfelwien's flavor/body to me? the recipe looks wierd but you guys all rave about it. as a meadmaker, the process seems strange but it has to be good if everyone seems to have it either bottled or in the carboy!! i guess i gotta brew it!
Apfelwein was rather dry and a bit tart. (But very subtly) I liked it...
Too much... I need to brew some more and not touch it this time. Just let it sit long enough til I can get some company over and let loose with the Apfelwein!
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
can someone describe apfelwien's flavor/body to me? the recipe looks wierd but you guys all rave about it. as a meadmaker, the process seems strange but it has to be good if everyone seems to have it either bottled or in the carboy!! i guess i gotta brew it!
It is a very light crisp flavor. It has some hint of apple taste to it, but the sweetness is mostly gone giving it a fairly light body.

It is very good, but it is also very personal. There are a handful of people that have tried it and don't like the dryness.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 03-16-2009, 12:07 AM   #9
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
can someone describe apfelwien's flavor/body to me? what is the original and final gravity? it seems like the juice would ferment really dry. the recipe looks wierd but you guys all rave about it. as a meadmaker, the process seems strange but it has to be good if everyone seems to have it either bottled or in the carboy!! i guess i gotta brew it!
It is generally very dry. I've gotten it a bit less dry using various ale yeasts, but with Montrachet, it's very dry. If you haven't already, you might as well try it out. Apple juice, corn sugar, yeast... it's the most simple recipe you could possible imagine. Hell, I put more thought, effort, and ingredients into scrambled eggs.

I haven't ever bothered with taking an OG, but the FG should finish out just below 1.0.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

+1 for the dryness..and I don't think you can overemphasize DRY on this. I personally like a light, fruity, sweet and carbonated drink. Original Edworts Apfelwein is very very very very dry, and tart(and not sweettart tart..more green apple, dry, sour tart). I actually backsweetend mine with 2 cans AJ concentrate, and 1/4 pound of wildflower honey..then force carbed. F.G. hit 1.013 and was excellent!

Dan

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Quick Reply