HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apfelwein: What should I be seeing in the airlock after a month?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
morarmis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apfelwein: What should I be seeing in the airlock after a month?

So last month (8.21) I started my first batch of Edwort's Apfelwein, second batch of anything ever (the first being JAOM, which is currently maturing in bottles.)
I followed the recipe exactly, with the exception of being forced to use apple juice with vitamin C added, which is supposedly okay. There literally wasn't enough totally organic variety AJ to be had in the area, I checked all the stores.
At the time I did not have a hydrometer, so I have no readings from the start.

It bubbled away healthily for quite a while, but when I've come down to check on it lately it's been very still. I can still see a little bit of action near the top of the liquid, but the airlock is sitting at even pressure. The apfelwein has cleared out and the yeast seems to have all sunk to the bottom at this point.

Should I be concerned? Should it still be going?
I attempted to take a hydrometer reading this evening and most determined that I need more practice with a hydrometer.

So yeah, I figure I'm probably just being overly concerned, but I'd like an opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

After a month, nothing...

An airlock is nothing but a vent, a valve to release excess co2...if it isn't bubbling, it is because it doesn't need to.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-30-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 15

agreed. after a month, it's fermented out. i'd secondary it at this stage, and let it sit for a few more months to get it off the yeast

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead

Kegged:

Fermenting: 2x Oatmeal Stout, Bravo APA, Concord Wine

Old 09-30-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
morarmis
Recipes 

Awesome! I had a sneaking suspicion it was a bit of newbie panic. Now I shall play the waiting game with it.

Thanks!

Quick Reply