Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > apfelwein with sluggish fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
duffrecords
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I put the hydrometer inside a wine thief and pulled a sample out, then released it back into the carboy. I'll try again later and look more closely but I don't think it's sticking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #12
podz
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 123

I cannot get my hydrometer to stay away from the inside edge of my wine thief, it simply does not work. I bought a graduated cylinder and use that for taking hydrometer measurements. That works just fine.

There's a fungus among us.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
duffrecords
Recipes 

It's at 1.018 as of November 16. I've been giving the carboys a quick spin whenever I have a chance, which agitates the lees/trub and releases a rush of tiny bubbles up into the neck. I'm going to make a big EC-1118 starter tonight. If that stuff can't do the job, little else will.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #14
podz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffrecords View Post
It's at 1.018 as of November 16. I've been giving the carboys a quick spin whenever I have a chance, which agitates the lees/trub and releases a rush of tiny bubbles up into the neck. I'm going to make a big EC-1118 starter tonight. If that stuff can't do the job, little else will.
I'm interested to hear how it goes as well. I want 1 week turnaround time in my cider, just I get with my stout. Hell, I'm even tempted to try some coopers ale yeast in my cider next time.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:38 AM   #15
duffrecords
Recipes 

I'd like to see someone try to ferment cider in one week. I imagine it would require extra yeast nutrient; some acid addition to reach the right pH; and possibly some grapes, grape juice concentrate, or ripe bananas for a more ideal sugar content. One of my strongest, fastest fermentations was a banana wine. Aerating the must before pitching the yeast might help, too. And, as always, it's good to develop a strong yeast starter according to these directions.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
podz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffrecords View Post
I'd like to see someone try to ferment cider in one week.
Here we have it:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/fast...5/#post5676754

Old 11-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #17
duffrecords
Recipes 

Still 1.018! The airlock continues to bubble, although this could simply be the release of dissolved gas. I tried to make two more EC-1118 starters but they both seemed to die before I could pitch them. Maybe it's the natural fig juice or the pinch of Fermax I added to the starter, or maybe both sachets were from a bad batch. I'm all out of EC-1118 now but I received a package of distiller's yeast the other day so tonight I think I'll pull out all the stops.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #18
duffrecords
Recipes 

I hydrated 10g of distiller's yeast in 1/2 cup of distilled water and let it soak for 15 minutes. Then I stirred in 1/2 tsp of sugar. Holy crap, this yeast came on like Gang Busters! It didn't smell as good as other strains but it looks stronger than all the others. I let it grow for another half hour and then added it to my carboys. They've all got lots of tiny bubbles rising into the neck now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #19
duffrecords
Recipes 

Well, the distiller's yeast slowed down to a crawl before long. However...

Yesterday I decided to move one of the jugs up off the floor and next to the wall heater. I measured the specific gravity this morning and it was 1.014! Progress! I moved the other jug and carboy into the same area and dumped in about a teaspoon of dry distiller's yeast. It went nuts and by the evening, the neck of each container was still fizzing like a freshly uncapped soda bottle. It must have been too cold on the floor.

I also added some French and American oak into the two jugs, respectively, leaving the 3 gallon carboy as is. For each one, i measured 2 grams of oak chips into an empty teabag, boiled it in some water for a few minutes to sterilize it, then tied a piece of sanitized, unflavored dental floss to it. I feed the other end of the floss through the bung and airlock and tied it to the floating cap inside the airlock (the 3-piece kind). Now I can easily remove the chips once the apfelwein reaches the desired level of oak. I'll be tasting it frequently to assess it (and consulting with my girlfriend, who has a better sense of taste and smell then I).

Old 11-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #20
podz
Recipes 

I cracked the problem: DAP.

Quick Reply