New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apfelwein....lower ABV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
billy_awesome
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apfelwein....lower ABV

Well I am enjoying my first batch of cider, only problem is I followed Edwort's recipe and as much as I like it, It just knocks me out and the wife won't even touch it because it's too strong!!

For those of you who don't know I used a kilo of dextrose with 5 gallons of AJ.

Didn't have a hydrometer back then, but I figure it was something around 8-10percent.

I would like to make something around the 5% mark, I have read from different threads that if you don't add ANY dextrose it will be around 5% but I doubt that, I figure around half a kilo will get you 5-6%

Has anyone ever done official results with a lower alcohol apfelwein?

Beer prices in Ontario Canada
24 Bottles for $28.89..........That's the DISCOUNT brand!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There's a couple things you could possibly try. First, take a hydro reading on just the juice itself. That will give you a pretty good indication of what your ABV% will be if you don't add any sugar to the Apfelwine.

If that percentage is still too high, you can still try to control the amount of alcohol produced by stopping the fermentation at a certain point. If you were to do this, you will probably want to hold off on adding ANY additional sugars to the batch. You can then figure out what your OG is and figure out what FG you need based on the ABV% you're looking for. Once you hit that target FG, rack the Apfelwine into secondary and cold crash to stop fermentation. This will leave the Apfelwine sweeter as there are still uneaten sugars, but will at least reduce the amount of alcohol in the batch.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 10 Posts

just juice will give you 5% assuming you use the yeast ed suggests.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another avenue you could use is to ferment out a batch as normal then split it in two.

Bottle the higher ABV% batch for yourself.

With the other you can add some potassium sorbate which will stop any further fermentation. Then add another gallon of AJ. This will sweeten and water down your wife's half of the batch.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Leave out the corn sugar, unless you like it hoochy. Also use hefe yeast, or S-05. It's a much more pleasant beverage.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=blacklab;1190962]Leave out the corn sugar, unless you like it hoochy. /QUOTE]

+1 on that, I swear that stuff tastes like hooch until about 6 months in the bottle.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

just juice and yeast will drop you at about 6-6.5% or so, if it stops around 1.000. skip the champagne yeast and throw some s-04 in there.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #8
baker0408
Recipes 

I am enjoying my first batch as well and have had rave reviews from everybody who has tired it! (Even people that do not usually enjoy anything other than B*d L%$^t) However I agree it can be a real but kicker, so I found that I enjoy it even more with Sprite. It sweetens it up a little and dilutes it some. (I prefer about 2/3 Apfelwien 1/3 Sprite). Give it try!

Old 03-12-2009, 02:50 AM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker0408 View Post
I am enjoying my first batch as well and have had rave reviews from everybody who has tired it! (Even people that do not usually enjoy anything other than B*d L%$^t) However I agree it can be a real but kicker, so I found that I enjoy it even more with Sprite. It sweetens it up a little and dilutes it some. (I prefer about 2/3 Apfelwien 1/3 Sprite). Give it try!
If you like it on the sweet side I would recommend a weizen yeast since it leaves about 25% residual sugar behind. It's very nice.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:54 AM   #10
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker0408 View Post

sacrilege!!!

Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Quick Reply