Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apfelwein keeps getting stuck

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Mountainbeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 510
Default Apfelwein keeps getting stuck

I've done 2 batches of Apfelwein and they both got stuck at 1.009. I've heard they are supposed to get below 1. I've tried shaking it up and warming it up to about 69 for 8 weeks.

__________________
Streamline Brewing Company
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:
Mountainbeers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,885
Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Default

What yeast are you using?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I would never use a dead mouse in my beer. It's much better to use live ones. You could probably just steep a dead one, but live ones must be mashed. Actually, smashed and mashed would be best.
llazy_llama is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Mountainbeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 510
Default

Red Star Montrachet

__________________
Streamline Brewing Company
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:
Mountainbeers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
llazy_llama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,885
Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Default

Assuming the yeast was rehydrated properly, that is odd. Are you sure your scale is working properly? It could be a matter of too little corn sugar. Also, is the brand of apple juice you use 100% juice with no preservatives (excluding ascorbic acid)?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I would never use a dead mouse in my beer. It's much better to use live ones. You could probably just steep a dead one, but live ones must be mashed. Actually, smashed and mashed would be best.
llazy_llama is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Mountainbeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 510
Default

I make sure to use apple juice with no preservatives and use 2 lbs of corn sugar. I didn't weigh the sugar though because at the time I didn't have a scale yet (I do now). I just tossed in 2, 1 lb bags.

__________________
Streamline Brewing Company
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:
Mountainbeers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Mountainbeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 510
Default

I'll make sure I weigh the sugar this time I guess.

__________________
Streamline Brewing Company
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:
Mountainbeers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
CandleWineProject
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 593
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
Assuming the yeast was rehydrated properly, that is odd. Are you sure your scale is working properly? It could be a matter of too little corn sugar. Also, is the brand of apple juice you use 100% juice with no preservatives (excluding ascorbic acid)?
Curious - how would too little sugar make it stick? Upping the sugar (in my mind) only increases how much alcohol there will be in the end. In fact, I would say it was the opposite problem, too much sugar = too much alcohol = dead yeast, except that shouldn't be a problem with 2 lbs of sugar and Montrachet.

Next question I have is if there were any preservatives, how did start fermenting at all?
__________________
CandleWineProject is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Mountainbeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleWineProject View Post
Curious - how would too little sugar make it stick? Upping the sugar (in my mind) only increases how much alcohol there will be in the end. In fact, I would say it was the opposite problem, too much sugar = too much alcohol = dead yeast, except that shouldn't be a problem with 2 lbs of sugar and Montrachet.
Yes, but this is wine yeast. It can handle up to 15% ABV I believe. More sugar = more alcohol = lower gravity. Alcohol is less dense than water. And the fact that they both got stuck at the exact same number makes me think this is the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleWineProject View Post
Next question I have is if there were any preservatives, how did start fermenting at all?
Not sure I understand what you are asking. There weren't any preservatives except for ascorbic acid.
__________________
Streamline Brewing Company
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:

Last edited by Mountainbeers; 01-29-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Mountainbeers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
CandleWineProject
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 593
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbeers View Post
Yes, but this is wine yeast. It can handle up to 15% ABV I believe. More sugar = more alcohol = lower gravity. Alcohol is less dense than water. And the fact that they both got stuck at the exact same number makes me think this is the cause.

Not sure I understand what you are asking. There weren't any preservatives except for ascorbic acid.
I don't know beer yeasts at all, but Montrachet should be able to handle the amount of sugar you had in there, and I stated that. I still don't understand how upping the sugar content would have solved your problem of it sticking.

As for the preservatives, Llazy_llama asked if there were preservatives. I was apparently too subtitle in trying to say you would have never gotten it to ferment in the first place if there were preservatives.
__________________
CandleWineProject is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Mountainbeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleWineProject View Post
I don't know beer yeasts at all, but Montrachet should be able to handle the amount of sugar you had in there, and I stated that. I still don't understand how upping the sugar content would have solved your problem of it sticking.
Because maybe it's not sticking. Maybe it fermented out all the way but the lack of sugar resulted in a lack of alcohol. ie a gravity too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleWineProject View Post
As for the preservatives, Llazy_llama asked if there were preservatives. I was apparently too subtitle in trying to say you would have never gotten it to ferment in the first place if there were preservatives.
Yea sorry I just figured you had read when I answered that question the first time.
__________________
Streamline Brewing Company
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:
Mountainbeers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apfelwein...stuck fermentation Shoemaker Wine Making Forum 3 12-08-2009 02:00 AM
Great Modified Apfelwein to Horrible Apfelwein in 1 week? gyrfalcon Cider Forum 12 11-28-2009 07:47 PM
Stuck at 1.016, added Roeselare, still stuck Seawolf Recipes/Ingredients 13 07-22-2008 07:16 PM
Yeast Question, possible stuck fermentation, Apfelwein jmiracle Cider Forum 11 11-26-2007 09:33 PM