Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apfelwein keeps getting stuck

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Mountainbeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apfelwein keeps getting stuck

I've done 2 batches of Apfelwein and they both got stuck at 1.009. I've heard they are supposed to get below 1. I've tried shaking it up and warming it up to about 69 for 8 weeks.

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

What yeast are you using?

Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Mountainbeers
Recipes 

Red Star Montrachet

Conditioning:
Drinking:

Old 01-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Assuming the yeast was rehydrated properly, that is odd. Are you sure your scale is working properly? It could be a matter of too little corn sugar. Also, is the brand of apple juice you use 100% juice with no preservatives (excluding ascorbic acid)?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Mountainbeers
Recipes 

I make sure to use apple juice with no preservatives and use 2 lbs of corn sugar. I didn't weigh the sugar though because at the time I didn't have a scale yet (I do now). I just tossed in 2, 1 lb bags.

Conditioning:
Drinking:

Old 01-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Mountainbeers
Recipes 

I'll make sure I weigh the sugar this time I guess.

Conditioning:
Drinking:

Old 01-29-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
Assuming the yeast was rehydrated properly, that is odd. Are you sure your scale is working properly? It could be a matter of too little corn sugar. Also, is the brand of apple juice you use 100% juice with no preservatives (excluding ascorbic acid)?
Curious - how would too little sugar make it stick? Upping the sugar (in my mind) only increases how much alcohol there will be in the end. In fact, I would say it was the opposite problem, too much sugar = too much alcohol = dead yeast, except that shouldn't be a problem with 2 lbs of sugar and Montrachet.

Next question I have is if there were any preservatives, how did start fermenting at all?

Old 01-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Mountainbeers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleWineProject View Post
Curious - how would too little sugar make it stick? Upping the sugar (in my mind) only increases how much alcohol there will be in the end. In fact, I would say it was the opposite problem, too much sugar = too much alcohol = dead yeast, except that shouldn't be a problem with 2 lbs of sugar and Montrachet.
Yes, but this is wine yeast. It can handle up to 15% ABV I believe. More sugar = more alcohol = lower gravity. Alcohol is less dense than water. And the fact that they both got stuck at the exact same number makes me think this is the cause.

Quote:
Next question I have is if there were any preservatives, how did start fermenting at all?
Not sure I understand what you are asking. There weren't any preservatives except for ascorbic acid.

Conditioning:
Drinking:

Last edited by Mountainbeers; 01-29-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbeers View Post
Yes, but this is wine yeast. It can handle up to 15% ABV I believe. More sugar = more alcohol = lower gravity. Alcohol is less dense than water. And the fact that they both got stuck at the exact same number makes me think this is the cause.

Not sure I understand what you are asking. There weren't any preservatives except for ascorbic acid.
I don't know beer yeasts at all, but Montrachet should be able to handle the amount of sugar you had in there, and I stated that. I still don't understand how upping the sugar content would have solved your problem of it sticking.

As for the preservatives, Llazy_llama asked if there were preservatives. I was apparently too subtitle in trying to say you would have never gotten it to ferment in the first place if there were preservatives.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Mountainbeers
Recipes 

Quote:
I don't know beer yeasts at all, but Montrachet should be able to handle the amount of sugar you had in there, and I stated that. I still don't understand how upping the sugar content would have solved your problem of it sticking.
Because maybe it's not sticking. Maybe it fermented out all the way but the lack of sugar resulted in a lack of alcohol. ie a gravity too high.

Quote:
As for the preservatives, Llazy_llama asked if there were preservatives. I was apparently too subtitle in trying to say you would have never gotten it to ferment in the first place if there were preservatives.
Yea sorry I just figured you had read when I answered that question the first time.

Conditioning:
Drinking:

Quick Reply