apfelwein fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muscleshoalsbrewer

Reaction score
I've been looking through threads put not really finding what I need. This is my first batch ingredients were 2lbs light brown cane sugar, 1 lb clove honey, redstar premier cuvee yeast, and apple juice.

How active should fermentation be after two weeks? Airlock activity has slowed to every ten seconds was going every three. It is still very cloudy. Should it be starting to clear? Should I pitch more yeast? or leave it alone? Temperature has been around 68 to 70.

What is the hydrometer saying? It is probably too soon for it to be clearing particularly if you are still fermenting. It takes several weeks before you can read a newspaper through it.

I understand it can take 4 weeks to fully ferment just worried that it has slowed so much after only one week. Is this normal? Oh and I did not get a SG reading, had already pitched yeast before I thought of it. Is there an average of what my SG should've been with 3lbs of fermentables?

It does start to slow down after a while. That's normal.

I don't know what the OG is, I guess it would depend on how much sugar was in the juice. You could probably guestimate it out, using Edwort's recipe.

Yes, it's normal. All of mine chugged along for a good month or more slowly fermenting.

It's hard to say what your SG was but it's pretty standard for ciders to go well below 1.000 before they're done. Three pounds is a lot of sugar so you will probably end up around .995 or so.

Lol, I'm making this for my woman who can not stand beer. She's a big fan of reisling so I thought she would enjoy it. She just sampled and is very excited. Thinks it tastes just like Reisling. Woo hoo!:ban: She won't shut down the homebrewing now. HAHA:tank:

Back