Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apfelwein to carb or not to carb??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Hops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apfelwein to carb or not to carb??

I have 5 gal of EdWort's Apfelwein at about 3 weeks in the fermentor and wonder whether to carb or not. Also, I see that it takes about 4 week to ferment out but is there a consensus on how long to age after that.

The Liver is Evil and Must be Punished!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

It can take roughly 4 weeks to ferment, but it might not. Not saying you are doing or will do anything wrong, but don't touch it until it is crystal clear, that is how long yours took. I know some people think 4 weeks is set in stone and just bottle at that point, but depending on temperature, humidity, and how much you deviated from the recipe yours could take longer.

And let it age in the carboy or in the bottle, as long as you can stand it. It will only get better with age.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

four weeks is an approximate time. The longer you let it sit the better it will be. I'd start another batch now if your will power is questionable!

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 12-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
It can take roughly 4 weeks to ferment, but it might not. Not saying you are doing or will do anything wrong, but don't touch it until it is crystal clear, that is how long yours took. I know some people think 4 weeks is set in stone and just bottle at that point, but depending on temperature, humidity, and how much you deviated from the recipe yours could take longer.

And let it age in the carboy or in the bottle, as long as you can stand it. It will only get better with age.
Tusch is right...I don't know where you got the idea that it is ready in four weeks. It's ready when you can read a newspaper behind it. When it drops clear....it's taken my batch 3-4 MONTHS before that happens, and even then it is still really harsh and alcoholic tasting.

Noone I offered it to would touch it after a couple sips.

I didn't find it palatable til it was about 8 months in the bottle myself. Now the ones I did last Jan. are really really smooth and drinkable...

So have patience, you will be rewarded.

As to your original question, I usually do half still and half carbed. BUT I find myself reaching for the carbed bottles most of the time. They are like Apple Champagne.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
Hops
Recipes 

Thanks for the input. I will probably start another 5 gal when a carboy opens up. I have no will power. But do you carb it or leave it still?

EDIT: Thanks Revvy I just saw your post.

The Liver is Evil and Must be Punished!!

Old 12-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
As to your original question, I usually do half still and half carbed. BUT I find myself reaching for the carbed bottles most of the time. They are like Apple Champagne.
+1 on that. and leave it for as long as you possibly can in the bottles. i found that the flavour was just so much better the longer you leave it.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

Carbed bottles all the way, they have a nice stingy champagne-like taste.... very good. Almost too drinkable.

Mine is totally clear and drinkable at about 3-4 weeks, but I usually leave it for 6. It gets better with every passing week so I try to keep some fermenting 24/7... I let about 6-12 bottles from each batch age.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #8
drux_tx
Recipes 

i must totally be an impatient person.

i just bottled my first batch of apfelwein today. the final gravity was 1.010, so i know it's not 100% done, but figured that's okay -- i just didn't prime it. Plus, the wife likes her stuff less carbonated, so she's okay by it.

This was after 3.5 weeks (started Nov. 29). It's still a little cloudy, but again... we're not sticklers.

We've already cracked into a few bottles and I can simply say that Ed's right about the whole "#1, ok... #2, hmm... #3, AHA!" thing.

I'll be starting another batch tomorrow and now that the wife has something to drink (and i have my beer), we can be more patient and let it sit longer and clarify.

Still, the taste is very palatable (at least to us)... kind of like a cider-meets-sauvignon-blanc, and mmm-MMM that kick is nice! Thank you Santa... *burp*, i mean EdWort!

so, anyway, my 2 cents would be YMMV & RDWHAHB, but I know others out there are more persnickety than I.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:56 AM   #9
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Carb... Carb steady and lightly... not a heavy head like on it like beer, or even the burn of soda pop... but the pure wonderful and beautieful simple carb of... well of cider... I can never be pacient either... i normally wait two months and then im drinking it regualrly. Then agian have yet to make a batch of Ed's famous brew... planning on it for the edwrots day but not yet... my normal cider is dark and dry and its clear enough to read the paper though the bottle... I use tusch's light bulb trick to check the clarity of each bottle

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Quick Reply