Apfelwein bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackForestBrewery

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I know the bottling of apfelwein has been a popular topic around here, and I've found a few answers about bottling of apfelwein. I still have a couple questions. I bought my juice in these one gallon glass bottles (they appear similar to a 1 gallon glass carboy).

So my questions are, if I was bottling this apfelwein still, would I be able to just screw the cap back on, or would this allow to much air into the apfelwein? Also, I assume that it would not work very well, but would it be at all possible to carb some of the apfelwein with these screw top lids? I have been unable to find any corks, or caps that would it over these. Not to mention it takes a large screw top lid which does not make it very easy to cap anything to begin with.

Any advice? Thanks!

Pat

I didn't know they still bottled cider in gallon glass jugs - I would buy the cider just to get the carboys! (I do a bunch of small-batch projects)

Anyway, I don't think they are appropriate for bottling. The caps are designed to work with negative pressure (that's why they pop up after opening), and will not allow for carbonating pressure. Without that negative pressure, I really don't know if they would hold a seal over a long term - at least, I wouldn't risk it myself.

If you are bottling it still, the screw-on caps should work just fine. Carbonating with priming sugar should work OK, as well. I bottled some apfelwein in the #1 PETE containers the apple juice came in, and the screw-on caps held just fine.

glenn514:mug:

I didn't know they still bottled cider in gallon glass jugs - I would buy the cider just to get the carboys! (I do a bunch of small-batch projects)

Anyway, I don't think they are appropriate for bottling. The caps are designed to work with negative pressure (that's why they pop up after opening), and will not allow for carbonating pressure. Without that negative pressure, I really don't know if they would hold a seal over a long term - at least, I wouldn't risk it myself.

Thanks for the feedback bro! Yes they have cider, as well as 100% pure/unfiltered apple juice in one gallon glass jugs, basically a small carboy. :rockin: Check ''Whole Foods'' because that's where I buy them, and I also like to use the little jugs! :D

If you are bottling it still, the screw-on caps should work just fine. Carbonating with priming sugar should work OK, as well. I bottled some apfelwein in the #1 PETE containers the apple juice came in, and the screw-on caps held just fine.

Thanks for the advice bro! I might try to figure out the a better way to carb the apfelwein because I don't know if I trust the screw top bottles. It might be difficult to find a way to cap them, but I'll have to figure something out. I might end up trying to carb them with the screw top bottles and if it doesn't turn out well, then oh well.. I'll just have a better excuse to make more.

I'll try bottling it still in those bottles though. Thanks for the feedback brudda! :mug:

I'm a total noob when it comes to wine/cider/apfelwein making so I have to ask a bunch of questions involving the bottling process. :drunk:

i have tested screw-cap wine bottles to see if they will hold any pressure, assuming your bottles and caps are similar to those?, by doing the old 6th grade vinegar/baking soda/get the cap on quickly/shake experiment. guess what...

Yes, bottling it still will work. BUT a gallon of hard cider is a lot to drink at one time!

Once you open it, and pour, it'll oxidize very quickly just like when you open a bottle of wine. Only bottle in the size containers you'll drink at one sitting.

Yes, bottling it still will work. BUT a gallon of hard cider is a lot to drink at one time!

Once you open it, and pour, it'll oxidize very quickly just like when you open a bottle of wine. Only bottle in the size containers you'll drink at one sitting.

Geeze Yooper... who says I don't drink a gallon of hard cider a gallon at a time?

Just joking, that makes perfect sense. I was bottling by the gallon because my friends and me are having a get together to watch movies and what not. I figured a gallon for 6-7 people would be suitable.

Back