Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apfelwein Bottle Carbing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
The_Kelly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apfelwein Bottle Carbing

So i asked this on the EdWorts Applewein post but I assume the 551 pages of posts in the thread made my question ridiculous.

So, I am on my 4th week of fermenting the Apfelwein. I am going to carb in the the bottle. Will there be any yeast in suspension in order for this to carb up properly??

Thanks in Advance!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes. You won't have a problem.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-25-2010, 04:20 AM   #3
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I was kind of wondering the same thing myself. I bottled some cider that was sitting for 3 months in the fermenter and was very clear. Two weeks in the bottle and still no carb. Odd, never had this problem before. I'm using 6 liter tap-a-draft bottles with telflon tape on the threads, metal caps, and double checked tightness. I guess I'll go back in, reprime, add a bit more yeast, and watch them closely. Not sure what went wrong.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
I was kind of wondering the same thing myself. I bottled some cider that was sitting for 3 months in the fermenter and was very clear. Two weeks in the bottle and still no carb. Odd, never had this problem before. I'm using 6 liter tap-a-draft bottles with telflon tape on the threads, metal caps, and double checked tightness. I guess I'll go back in, reprime, add a bit more yeast, and watch them closely. Not sure what went wrong.
Probably nothing wrong at all- two weeks is a bit too short of a time to expect carbonation. Usually you can expect it to be carbed up in 3-4 weeks if kept at 70 degrees or higher.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Hmm I had apfelwein sitting in a carboy for 3 months, I bottled it half carbed half uncarbed. I used 2 oz priming sugar for 24 bottles of apfelwein and they are really undercarbed after another 4 weeks at 70 degrees.

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 09-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
schadelh
Recipes 

My last batch of apfelwein sat in primary for about 10 weeks (until clear). I sucked up a tiny bit of yeast off the bottom (just a bump with the siphon) when i was racking, and added the priming sugar (i think 3/4 cup for 5 gal). It took a long time to carb up (a lot longer than beer), probably 6 or 7 weeks (maybe longer, I ignored the hell out of it after it was still flat on week 3) until it was fully carbed.

just be patient, and dont drink it all too soon, it starts to taste really good about 3 or 4 months in.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:16 AM   #7
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
Probably nothing wrong at all- two weeks is a bit too short of a time to expect carbonation. Usually you can expect it to be carbed up in 3-4 weeks if kept at 70 degrees or higher.
These bottles are showing zero signs of carbonation. Usually they firm up in a week - these you can poke a dent in them like they day they were bottled. I'd think I'd forgotten the priming sugar but I distinctly remember adding it. Very odd.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #8
krisagon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
These bottles are showing zero signs of carbonation. Usually they firm up in a week - these you can poke a dent in them like they day they were bottled. I'd think I'd forgotten the priming sugar but I distinctly remember adding it. Very odd.

Wait, you're using 6 liter bottles? I've read that the bigger bottles can take longer to carb up than the little 12 oz ones.

My vote is just be patient.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
The_Kelly
Recipes 

Can I just say Yooper... That your "Enough Football" is darn right blasphemus... just saying

Old 09-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisagon View Post
Wait, you're using 6 liter bottles? I've read that the bigger bottles can take longer to carb up than the little 12 oz ones.

My vote is just be patient.
No, there's definitely something wrong. I've done many batches in these same bottles and they carb up like beer - very firm in a week and fully carbed in 2-3 weeks. One thing I did do different with this batch was not using a bottling bucket. I primed the bottles and filled two bottles; the rest went directly into containers for back sweetened still cider. I think what might have happened was this: when I used a bottling bucket and prime the entire batch, I got a little yeast in the bucket when I tilt the fermenter to get the last of the cider. What went into my bottles was the first siphoning of the undisturbed fermenter and didn't get enough yeast to prime. That's all I can think of at least.

Quick Reply