The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Anyone sucessfully done a JK Scrumpys clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
Elfmaze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Anyone sucessfully done a JK Scrumpys clone?

I just had some of Scrumpys cider for the first time. Way different from any other commercial ciders i have tried(woodchuck, thornsbee(?) etc)

The scrumpys was much more of a appley cider taste. Ingredients were cider and yeast. No sulfites.

Any ideas how they make this stuff? ive searched. Didn't find much but references too it.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
JoeSponge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

JKS is da BOM! Ok, sorry. JKs is awesome. It is my favorite commercial brew. A clone would be awesome. I also looked around but haven't seen anything.

JKS is made on their farm/orchard/?? from their own apples.

Interestingly, J. K. of JK Scumpy's shows up on the forums occasionally. He will also occasionally mention that his wife, K., claims that the K in JK is for her. :-D

AFAIR, it's all made on their farm, bottled by hand, including labels. I mention the labels, because of the running joke about most of the labels being on crooked (that, coupled with the stringent need to sample the scrumpy to ensure high quality... ;-)

-m.

Oh my gosh, but cider's neat.
Taste's so sweet, it can't be beat.
Good in the cold or in the heat.
Oh my gosh, but cider's neat!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Stratotankard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Is JK Scrumpy the same as Scrumpy Jack (from England)? I love me some Scrumpy Jack and would love a good clone recipe. Wish I had more to add, but I'll keep watching here.

Terje

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Old 06-29-2009, 03:10 AM   #4
Elfmaze
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i listened to an interview with JK. 50 degrees. 8-9 months. slow ferment, but how can u do no sulfides? pasteurize?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:56 AM   #5
JoeSponge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

@Strat,
IIRC, "Scrumpy" is a generic term for English "farm house" cider... usually a pretty informal drink. I think that it is usually naturally fermented (yeasts left on the apples and occuring naturally in the juice). I have read that you can (could) buy it by the gallon.

"Scrumpy Jack" is a brand name (for an English cider).

JK Scrumpy is an American brand. I believe that it is natural yeast only, but someone said that they thought that the JK had champaign yeast added at the last part for some reason (finishing? Carbination? higher ABV?).

If English scrumpy or Scrumpy Jack tastes like JK Scrumpy's, I'd buy it by the gallon, for sure.

@Elf,
Where did you find an interview? Podcast?

Re: no sulfides: I am guessing that is it a mix of
having a low-alc fermenting yeast,
racking off the cider while it's in a cold state,
and the low temps for commercial and customer storage keeping any remaining yeast in a dormant state.

Just guessing.

minsco1 Likes This 
Old 06-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I've never had JK Scrumpy, but the best cider I've run across was Newton's Folly, a 100% Granny Smith cider. It has a strong apple aroma and flavor. I've noticed the more tart (cooking) apples in a cider, the better the flavor. Sweet (eating) apples ferment down to nothing.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
Elfmaze
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The interview he did is posted on his website ORGANIC SCRUMPY J.K. SCRUMPY CIDER Its an MP3 interview in the bottom right of the page.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Elfmaze
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSponge View Post
@Re: no sulfides: I am guessing that is it a mix of
having a low-alc fermenting yeast,
racking off the cider while it's in a cold state,
and the low temps for commercial and customer storage keeping any remaining yeast in a dormant state.
Sounded good untill the cold storage. bottles are stored on shelf not cooled

Old 06-30-2009, 03:44 AM   #9
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Elfmaze - Thanks for the interview link. That was very interesting and helpful.

I don’t know about a “clone”, but you can make a decent farmhouse cider in the same style as a JK Scrumpy by a) starting with unpasteurized fresh pressed juice that is a blend of good apples – whatever are the best cider apples in your area, b) keep handling of the juice to a minimum and keep everything scrupulously clean, because wild yeast ferments can easily pick up weird flavors c) let the cider ferment with just the natural yeast at as low a temp as possible and d) stop the fermentation before it gets below 1.020 or so.

The FG of flat, JK Scrumpy at room temp is 1.024. I measured one last year also and it was 1.028. I don’t know if that is because they vary from batch to batch, or maybe last year I didn’t wait for it to go completely flat and there were some bubbles on the hydrometer.

As JoeSponge pointed out on an earlier exchange (which is why I double checked this eve – plus a good excuse to drink another Scrumpy), an FG of 1.024 plus six percent alcohol, means that the SG of their starting juice must be at least 1.072. That’s a lot of sugar, but certainly not impossible. I got a batch of Staymans and Romes this past season that was at 1.064. I have heard of “sweating” apples to increase the sugar content, so my guess is that it is possible to bump the SG to 1.072 if you have full control over the cold storage process. For the rest of us, it is certainly possible to get a good blend of juice that is in the 1.050 to 1.060 range and end up with a similar end product with a little less punch. Personally, I like it just a tad dryer, so you could let it go to 1.010 to 1.015 and it will still be very nice.

As far as stopping it goes, cold crashing will do the trick. But then you have to either drink it still or force carbonate it in a keg. I’d go with the keg. Once you start kegging you wont go back.

So how does Scrumpy’s stop the fermentation and bottle without cold crashing and forced carbonation?

I think the biggest clue is in the interview where JK said that because they use no fertilizers, they have low levels of nitrogen in their apples. Remember, he said that nitrogen hinders the development of flavor and growth. That is really, really interesting, because nitrogen is also a necessary yeast nutrient. A lot of people ADD nitrogen to prevent stuck fermentations. My guess is that JK has figured out how to induce a stuck fermentation by limiting nitrogen. That is probably more reliable than coming up with a yeast with a low alcohol tolerance.

Nitrogen levels can be measured in wine, but it takes some expensive kit. My guess is that after five generations of cider making, the Koan family has figured out how to tell when the nitrogen is getting low enough that the yeast will starve. If you add some champagne yeast and bottle right before the nitrogen runs completely out, that ought to do the trick!

If you want to test this theory, take a bottle of JK scrumpy and add some DAP. My guess is that it will start fermenting like nobody’s business. However, even if I am right I am not sure how helpful that really is, because then trick is how do you tell when nitrogen is so low that you are about to get a stuck fermentation without a lot of expense? If anyone knows the answer to this, then we might have something! Be warned though that one of the signs of a ferment running low on nitrogen is excessive sulfur production, so you’d better have a tolerant S.O. while working out whatever kinks there might be in this process.

I was happy to hear that they use Johnathans in their mix, cause those are one of the first good cider apples that will be available next Fall here in Central VA. C’mon September! I’ve heard good things about Northern Spys before. There is a place that sells them here but they are expensive. I guess that’s because they are outside of their growing range. Staymen, Winesap, York, and Granny Smith are usually plentiful, and I’m pretty happy with those so far.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #10
JoeSponge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'll have to listen to the interview again. What I got out of the data was that they starve oxygen during the fermentation (or was it storage?) phase... something about having equipment that extracts oxygen and puts the remaining gas mix back into the room.

Quick Reply