The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Any newbie friendly scrumpy recipes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
Vox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Any newbie friendly scrumpy recipes?

Hey all. Anyone know of any newbie friendly scrumpy recipes? I only have a few cider batches under my belt and I'm not sure how much more difficult scrumpy is to make, but would love to make some for my father. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Here's one I found, but I'm not sure this is something I'd want to try. Part of the recipe calls for 1/2 pound raw meat.

Devon Cider, how to make your own Scrumpy

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hiya!

A friend of mine worked in a cider farm. They picked up the apples from the ground and trees, if they fell apart in the hand they threw them down the hill. If they were just mushy they'd go in the cider! After crushing them, the resulting mush would be left to lie. The juice that would come out by its own weight would be called the 'sweet juice' and would make the nicest scrumpy. Then they would press the mush to get the remaining juice. The resulting juice would be put in barrels that had been rinsed from the previous batch and a bung fit on top. Sorted. Plenty of worms, bacteria, etc., going around but that's the niceness of good cloudy scrumpy!

Quick Reply