Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Another SOUR cider thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
steelcutter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Another SOUR cider thread.

Hi all,

Been a lurker for a looong time and hate to make my first post a question ( I have done several searches but havn't come up with an answer). So if you'll bear with me here goes:
Recipe....6 gallons of treetop dumped on the yeastcake from a previous batch of a rather robust cider. Yeast used is Nottingham. Been in primary since late March early April. Been going to rack it for months but one thing or another came up and its still sitting on the yeast. I thieved a sample today and the aroma was very lightly appley/winey while the flavor was very tart with a tannic astringent finish. Not really pleasant. Would really like to save it and am thinking of racking it off onto 4 or 5 cans of concentrate and a stick or two of cinnamon for a month or two and seeing what develops. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
steelcutter
Recipes 

Default I'd probably better add....

I'm not really shooting for a sweet cider, just want to boost the apple flavor and balance out the astringency. I made an apple blueberry/pomegranite cider that would curly your toes when first bottled...but after a year in the bottle its nirvana

Old 09-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
Bush_84
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a very tart multiberry drink that I put some vanilla in. With the vanilla and some aging the tart mellowed.

Primary- Raspberry Melomel - Raspberry Cider
Secondary-Welch Grape Wine - Mapfelwien
Bottled- Mott's Cider - Strawberry Mead - Hard Lemonade - The 84 Bushwacker (~11 abv cider) -Mixed Berry Cider - Graff
-The 84 Bushwacker v2.0

Old 09-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
steelcutter
Recipes 

Vanilla sounds VERY interesting....Bean or extract? I did rack it to secondary on top of 4 cans of concentrate....But I'm thinking I've got 6 gallons of vinegar...We'll see in a couple of months.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:18 AM   #5
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

hopefully getting it racked off of the lees is gonna help the taste. surely adding a few cans of apple juice concentrate can't hurt it.

Tertiary: Sweet Dried Cherry/Vanilla Mead, Prickly Pear Mead, Jalapeno-Peach Sweet Mead

Bottled: Huajillo Honey Mead - 4 bottles only, first ever mead, Light Draft Style Cider, Raspberry Mead, Hibiscus Mead, JAOM, Peach Melba Mead, Limoncello, Kahlua, Spiced Winter Cider, Orange/Vanilla Mead

Quick Reply