Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Another first time cider maker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
adastrafarm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Another first time cider maker

About 4 weeks ago I put 6 gallons of cider (2/3 Baldwin, 1/3 Liberty) that had been in primary fermentation for 6 weeks and I thought was completely dry into wine bottles with standard corks. Today it tastes much like some English and Welsh craft ciders I recently tasted. It is dry, tangy and has no off flavors. But I expected it to be entirely still. It has definitely continued to ferment with a "head" and a significant amount very fine bubbles like good champagne. There is not much pressure in the bottles at this point and right now it's a pleasant beverage. But I am concerned. Will the bottle/corks hold up? And has something gone wrong that I should do something about now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds like some sort of secondary fermentation started up. What was the sg when you bottled it and what type of yeast?

You say is was completely dry so if the sg was close to terminal, then you might have stirred up just enough action by the yeast when you racked to get some carbonation, probably not enough to make much pressure. How sure are you that it was dry?

You can always keep testing them every few days and if the pressure starts getting high, refrigerate or pasteurize them. probably wouldnt hurt to put them in a cool place

Old 01-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
adastrafarm
Recipes 

thanks for the advice. Yes it really was terminal (sg 1.0.) and no CO2 bubbles (or so I thought.)
I used liquid English cider yeast. Will keep an eye on the pressure as you suggest.

Quick Reply