The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Another back sweeten thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
benchwrmr22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Another back sweeten thread

So I've been searching the forums and I can't really find a specific amount needed to back sweeten the cider I have in my primary when it comes to bottling time. I have read all the posts about splenda, lactose and apple juice concentrate and I was wondering exactly how much I would need of each if I wanted to back sweeten my cider (4gallons). I used S-04 Ale yeast and it dried it out a little too much.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 04:02 AM   #2
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchwrmr22 View Post
So I've been searching the forums and I can't really find a specific amount needed to back sweeten the cider I have in my primary when it comes to bottling time. I have read all the posts about splenda, lactose and apple juice concentrate and I was wondering exactly how much I would need of each if I wanted to back sweeten my cider (4gallons). I used S-04 Ale yeast and it dried it out a little too much.

Thanks
I think it really comes down to how sweet you like it. I just bottled my first batch (1 1/2 gallons) and when it came time to back sweeten it, did a combination of apple juice concentrate (1 lg can) and lactose (1 c.) for body. It really didn't have the zing I was looking for so I added about a 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I just kept tasting it through out the adding until I got to the point where I was happy with the way it was.

Next time I am going try sweetening it up front before fermentation and see how I like that. Much depends on your personal preferences.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
RogerMcAllen
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

What kind of Splenda are you thinking about using, each form (packets, baking, bulk package, etc.) is a little bit different.

As MeadWitch said, a lot comes down to personal taste. Take a glass and sweeten until it is just right, then scale that up to the full batch.

Quick Reply